cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

When will Vodafone support SMS over Wifi Calling?

m1kegibson
4: Newbie

When will Vodafone come out of the dark ages and finally implement SMS over wifi calling?

Given Wifi Calling spec (voWIFI/GAN/UMA) incorporates SMS (and MMS) support, why is Vodafone's implementation limited to voice calls only - did they buy cheap kit off the back of a lorry perhaps?

120 REPLIES 120

You are right. On my S10 before it was updated I could get Wi-Fi  SMS but it took about 30 or more seconds to arrive. After updating to Android 11 it took only three.

Does anyone know if Vodafone have plans for MMS over Wi-Fi? Calling and SMS are now working but MMS would be useful.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @luffviolin, If this is in the planning, it's not something we have a date on yet. Keep your eyes peeled to our Coming Soon page as we'll put the details there as we get them 😊

Does anyone have a Poco X3 pro where SMS over WiFi works? It doesn't seem to want to for me, and I need to be able to send and receive text messages if my Sure Signal has to be shut down...

Well now. Quite by accident I discovered that Vodafone now support MMS over WiFi. Why did this not appear in 'Coming Soon'? I now have SMS and MMS but how I wish Vf could be a bit more active in their information.

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Android fragmentation must make it very hard to announce services when a lot of phones probably won't support it.

Also, who uses MMS now, it's a rip off. We should be trying to move people away from it.

I don't think I've sent an MMS message in the last 10 years or more. Very poor, outdated technology. Great in GMS days but with messaging apps and RCS it's redundant. Still, it's a cash cow for those networks that charge.

OK - iPhones of 6S and newer with a minimum of OS14.4 will be able to use SMS over wifi calling.

The iOS is crucial.  Mine would not play ball until tech support confirmed the settings and iOS14.4 was required.

You should also go into Settings - Mobile Data - Mobile Data Options - Voice & Data and then switch on VoLTE. Once enabled, please go back into Settings and select Phone - Wi-FI Calling and then switch on Wi-Fi calling. If you find that the above steps still do not work then please Reset Network Settings before going through the above steps again. 

You can test by putting ON airplane mode and manually putting WiFi ON.  Then sending test SMS to 9770. That will send a "received" confirmation reply.  Then revert airplane to OFF.

I have just discovered by accident that Vf WiFi now does MMS as well as SMS. As usual there has been no information about this latest development. I can now send and receive pictures via text on WiFi. This may not work for all phones but works for Samsung S20. It feels like everything is back to normal but using WiFi.

@PedroA

My wife's S9 has been running Android 10 for some time.