Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Court Action Against Vodafone

HSS1234
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi All

Has anyone taken Vodafone to the Small Claims Court? Would like to hear of experiences.

Brief synopsis of my situation:

- Closed a Vodafone Broadband account due to poor service

- Told my account balance was zero by Vodafone

- No letters or emails sent to advising of a "closing balance"

- Default marked on my credit file, causing mortgage rejection, hence costing me several thousand pounds extra having to go for a lender that would accept me

- Been through CISAS who have confirmed multiple failings in Vodafone customer service. However, awarded an insignificant compensation amount I am not happy about

- looking to pursue in small claims court now 

Any provide any advice? Thanks in advance. 

11 REPLIES 11

davidbeaumont59
3: Seeker

Exactly the same happened to me.

I'm in the small claims court against them tomorrow.

It took me months for them to agree to put their errors right and in the interim I couldn't renogotiate a mortgage or buy a new car. My credit rating had gone from the high 600s out of 720 (excellent) to 135. I have it in writing from them that the account was closed and that nothing was owing. When I contacted Transunion and said that these reports were incorrect, i was told that they had checked with Vodaphone who had confirmed that the reports were correct.

Their defence tomorrow (they have had to admit to havig filed incorrect reports) is that they put it right. Well that's like a bank robber saying that they gave the money they robbed, back to the bank. 

I'm claiming £3000 in damages.

Let's see what happens.

Hi David

Apologies, have just picked up your message.

How did it go? Did you get the resolution you were seeking?

let me know, would be interested.

Thanks

Harry

davidbeaumont59

Court case happened in Staines yesterday. Vodafone lost and were ordered to pay £500 in damages plus all my costs. £832 in total. Judge expressed her dissatisfaction at their incorrectly reporting to credit reference agencies and then rode roughshod over those organisations too. I think they got off lightly, but if more of us went through this process, they might start learning a lesson. Good luck.

Would love to get your take on my issue outlined below.

japitts
4: Newbie

Most courts & judges will expect you to mitigate and treat legal action as a last resort, to this effect most telcos - VF included - have some kind of ADR scheme. VF use CISAS & Ombudsman Services - https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/complaints/code-of-practice 

Hi David

Very well done indeed, I'm glad you got this sorted and some form of compensation.

My case was actually last year. And I settled as well with Vodafone at a level that I was happy with.

Agree, more people need to stand up to big organisations like this.

Well done again!

Kind Regards. Harry

Would love to get your take on my issue as outlined above. Thanks.

Hi there

Drop me your phone number and I will call you this weekend. Rather than discuss on this chat.

Thanks

Harry

That's fantastic, well done!  I'm in a similar position it's less of a solid case but I would love to take them to court.  My ex-wife was on my account but when we separated in 2020, I called Vodafone and asked them to remove her number from my account which they confirmed but over the phone.  Then in 2021 after we had already divorced, I had a dispute with Vodafone and left them over poor performance/breach of contract.  I had paid everything and nothing outstanding.

July 2021, my ex wanted to leave Vodafone but was still in contract and she broke the agreement and left.  They fined her £200 which she didn't pay then they put a credit report on my credit record which damaged my chance of getting a mortgage.  The report is still on there and they refuse to remove it regardless that I had removed her from my account in 2020.  I've argued with Vodafone via numerous letters with their Legal Dept.   They deny that any such call removing her from my account took place.  I tried doing a SAR but nothing came up and they denied storing any recordings of any calls or said they had already been deleted.    As a result the report is still on my credit score and causing me problems in applying for a mortgage or an AMEX card amongst other things.  Any advice??