Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

jonnywombat
2: Seeker

On Firday afternoon Vodafone UK sent a corporate email telling their support team that they can now give out Broadband username and passwords.

I have now set up my own router, and here's what i did.

Step 1 Ring VF on 08080034515 and get your username and password. The support team member then emailed me my Log in info.

Step 2 Swap your router. Keep your VF router in case you ever get an issue and need tech support as they will not support your 3rd party device

Step 3 In your routers web interface access the WAN settings. Set connection type to PPPoE, enter username and password and leave all settings as default EXCEPT enable 802.1Q and set Vlan tag to 101.

Step 4 Save settings and apply. Your router should now connect to VF. Mine took a couple of minutes to get a connection and another couple from the router showing it was connected to actually being able to access the net

Step 5 After a few minutes the connection dropped, and it would not connect again. After investigation I was told this is to do with VF registering your router on there network. Hard reset your router. Power it down remove the power cord for 30 seconds and power back on.

Step 6 Enjoy

This is just based on my experience of setting up my router ASUS DSL-AC68U, YMMV. However the ASUS is syncd at 73.6meg, when the VF router syncd at 72.1 and I have noticed a marked improvment in performance.

HTH someone

Jonny

343 REPLIES 343

As an update I have again asked for my login and password, and have been given totally different credentials from the ones I was orignally given. Has anyone else had this before? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

It happens time and time again!

And just make sure the username looks similar to "dsl0123456789&broadband.vodafone.co.uk" for domestic customers!

Get them to send it via email :Winking_smiley:

machare
13: Advanced Member

@Anonymous wrote:

And just make sure the username looks similar to "dsl0123456789&broadband.vodafone.co.uk" for domestic customers!

Asking for it using chat gives it to you in writing and you can get the chatr record emailed to you.

@Anonymous wrote:

Wish I'd known this last night, must have wasted about 3 hours checking every little detail thinking I was doing something incorrect!

Copied it from chat in a notepad file and got the transcript emailed over as well. I shall try with the new details this evening.

@j_g wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wish I'd known this last night, must have wasted about 3 hours checking every little detail thinking I was doing something incorrect!

Copied it from chat in a notepad file and got the transcript emailed over as well. I shall try with the new details this evening.

New login connected almost immediately much quicker than the vodafone router. Can't beleive I'd been given the wrong info twice!

New Vodafone customer here. I can't stress how much you should repeatedly request your DSL user/pass if your 3rd party router does not work. Just spent far too long trying to work out why my Zyxel was failing to connect. Finally recontacted Vodafone Support in frustration. Was given a different user/pass. That didn't work. But by combining the user from one support call and the pass from another got it working.

It's absolutely astoning to me how some a fundamental piece of information cannot be distributed to customers in an accurate matter.

Now we'll see if the connection becomes more stable. If it doesn't I'm cancelling the service and heading right back to Plus.net where we've been rock solid for years.

What is the best modem with support for as many formats as possible? VDSL2 can also be G.Fast for the future.

Mirek

Anonymous
Not applicable

Native G.Fast routers are still few and far between - and the ones that are out there seem to have other issues.  Genuinely if you are going for a high-end router then I'd go with a separate modem such as the Huawei HG612 V3B (higher speed on clean lines) or Draytek Vigor 130 (Handles noisy lines better).

Chrevil

Hi there folks.

Has anyone got a ASUS DSL-AC88U operational on Vodafone superfast 2.

I have had the router for over a year and it worked perfectly up until the switch over to VF. It picks up the DSL link and states it as "up" but just wont connect. I have run out of ideas.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Historically I've had a couple of ASUS DSL-AC88U modem+routers set up here for testing due to WiFi issues on the units - the issues being confirmed but were unable to fix.  Actually setting up the DSL-AC88U to work with Vodafone should be a doddle once you have the correct username and password.

*FYI: The issue with the ASUS DSL-AC88U that we were investigating was slow WiFi.  We simply couldn't get the 5GHz WiFi to sync to anything at above about 180Mbps - irrespective of brand and capability of the client devices.  Compare that to the "usual" router(s) in operation here, an RT-AC86U meshed with an RT-AC68U (connected together via powerline), both of which quite happily sync to multiple devices at 866Mbps with local speed tests showing throughputs between 300-400Mbps on the 5GHz WiFi.