Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router won't connect to devices

HAMMERSTINGER
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

We have been with Vodafone broadband now for a few months. The first router we had worked fine with regards to WiFi connection to devices, but we kept losing the internet, so a second router was sent. Wish now that hadn't happened, as the problems were at the green box.

The second router seemed ok at the beginning, but a few weeks back, it started dropping certain devices, which were saying they couldn't connect to the router. These were our Roku box, NowTV box, Firestick (which was only bought last week), and one of our Chromecasts, all in the living room. None of which are used at the same time btw. Occasionally there are issues connecting to our sounbar too. The router is only a few metres away in the hall.

Have made endless calls to Vodafone (assistants in Egypt), and have reset, rebooted, reconfigured etc etc the router again and again. The latest reconfiguring of the DNS seemed to get the router to reconnect to the devices, but there were intermittent connection drops, so my wife had to restart a programme around 40 times the other night, which is ridiculous.

The Vodafone assistant today said I should put the router higher off the ground. Well that worked for about 40 minutes. Now we are back to no connections.

It can't even recognise the Now box or the Chromecast fitted to the TV in the kitchen at all, and they are just down the hallway. The WiFi signals coming from the router seem too weak.

However, they seem to connect easily to laptop, phones, TV and tablet.

The situation is now ridiculous, and I seriously wish we hadn't taken out a contract with Vodafone broadband. It is ridiculous as, on top of our Vodafone bill, we are wasting money on streaming channels that we can't watch.

I believe that we need another new router, but I just keep given new and ineffective solutions from the advisors. HELP!!!!

32 REPLIES 32

Jennaleoni

We did eventually. Vodafone finally sent us a new router. Additionally, we placed the new router on a higher shelf with no obstructions. Also, we had a cordless telephone positioned next to the router. We got rid of that too (replaced with an old style sorded phone), as it's radio signals may have been disrupting the router output.

Result was that we haven't had a single problem since. SO much so that every device in the house now runs off the router perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Oh good. Light at the end of the tunnel then. I've just purchased a new/old model phone to replace my cordless. When we split the Internet the 2.4ghz cannot be found on any devices anywhere. I can only assume its the router that's an issue because I had the same set up with sky, literally only changed the router to the Vodafone one with correct leads and had issues ever since. 

I've lost 2 days for engineers and countless hours on the phone, all time I cannot get back and won't even go there with the stress,  as a nurse in the community I have to be able to work from home or my patients do not get seen. 

Fingers crossed the complaints team issue a new router. 

Thanks for replying

If it helps, I know exactly how you feel. Your problems sound identical to ours. I spent countless hours on the phone, or with the online chat trying to fix it, but just kept going round in circles. Splitting never worked at all. I lost count of the number of times that I reset the router. We switched from Sky too. However, our plan was to stream everything over WiFi to Roku stick, Firestick, Chromecast and the TV in the kitchen. Was on the point of contacting Ofcom, to get out of the contract.

But, the new router, and the other changes have meant that everything connects perfectly now.

You nurses have been so important during lockdown, so you deserve a break.

Hope you get it sorted. Let us know how it goes, and keep pushing for that new router.

tomba59
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi. We have the same problems!!! Been with Vodafone for 4 months and, after 3 days of disaster, we got connected to fibre.

Every day for last 4 months the TV and/or my daughters laptop will FAIL to connect to internet. We bought a booster, we rebooted many times, fitted filters to all phone sockets even though only one landline exists and is never used. Tried everything :Sad_face:

Im wondering whether Routers from 3-4 months ago were faulty???

Did you get yours sorted please...how??? Thanks!

Hi tomba59.

In the end, we demanded a new router, and that seemed to solve the issue. Although, we did remove our cordless phone, which was sitting next to the router. We now run the laptop, tablet, 2 mobiles, 2 Chromecasts, 1 Firestick, 1 Roku box, TV in the living room and a TV in the kitchen, all connected to the router, and, touch wood, no issues since.

We were told, when speaking to Vodafone on the phone, that they could detect (via our router), that there was another router within a few feet. That would have been our neighbour's router, and that could also interfere with the signal. However, like I said, since the new router arrived, everything has been fine.

There were even issues at the exchange box, out in the street, due to too many connections, but even that seems to be fixed now. It meant our internet kept dropping off completely. Openreach made several visits to rectify it, but, no issues whatsoever since early 2020.

Hi Hammerstinger,

many thanks for your reply and explanations. We had issues at installation and after 3 days of video calling, photo sending etc Voda finally sent out an engineer who spent hours only to then tell us that the first engineer “hadn’t connected fibre at the Openreach street box”. Since then daily problems  with loss of router/ internet connections 😡

No issues here with cordless phone nor neighbour boxes.

Will try them for a new router and fingers crossed 🤞🏽 

Thanks again 😁

Tomba59, we've had so many problems with the connections at the boxes, over the years, even when we were with Sky. The boxes just can no longer cope with the amount of users. Particularly with the volume streaming during the lockdowns. There are probably many homes who just stream everything now, on top of the usual Internet usage.

Keep badgering them for a new router, and hopefully it will fix things. I literally spent days and days on the phone to them, speaking to people in Egypt, trying to get it fixed. 

I have the same issue with my TVs and some laptops.

Did you find a fix?

A new router, ultimately. However, we also moved it to a higher shelf, and removed the cordless phone that was next to it.

Not sure if that will help you, but it did the trick for us.

Just moved to the Pro Broadband, and you get a booster box too. That might be an option if you are nearing the end of your contract. 

So we are having the same problem.

Last week, several of our devices disconnected from the router. When trying to reconnect they were just showing a generic error "Unable to join", etc.

After plenty of rebooting of devices and routers - some devices connected but it was patchy. The next day things were better... until last night when it happened all over again.

Spent some time on the Vodafone online support chat and the person talked me through creating a 2nd wi-fi network specifically for 2.4Ghz and to use it for all the smart devices. 

However, after adding a couple of devices to that network it became clear they were having patchy issues connecting to the internet and they also couldn't see any devices on the main Wi-Fi network - which is no good. 

Things seem okay again today - but no doubt it'll break again soon. Also, streaming seems very slow. There is definitely an issue with the router - but the thought of going back onto support with vodafone scares me. I was up until 1:30 AM this morning trying to get this to work 😞