main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Unlock the the vodafone router under the new law

gipjon
16: Advanced member

Can a member of the vodafone admin team please let us know how we can unlock the vodafone router so we can use it again under the new law right to repair 

View more options
14 REPLIES 14
Mark

Hey @gipjon 👋 Are you looking to unlock one of our mobile broadband routers, or is this concerning a fixed line router?

View more options
Jayach

This is the  Home broadband & landline forum, what do you think?

View more options
Mark

I'm just checking the post had been added to the correct board @Jayach, as we offer both mobile and fixed line services and the Community contains boards on both subjects.

If you can confirm which type of router you're looking to unlock @gipjon, we'll be more than happy to help with this 😊

View more options
gipjon

The THG3000G 

View more options
Mark

Perfect @gipjon, thanks! This isn't something that's been passed out to us just yet. But I've contacted the team that deals with these kind of issues and as soon as I've got an update, I'll let you know 😊

View more options
KeithAlger

So far as I'm aware the new law requires the provision of physical spare parts.  I'm not aware of any components used in Technicolor manufactured routers that cannot be sourced.  So it might mean that Technicolor/Vodafone could have to supply a preprogrammed EPROM if requested, but that would be about the extent of it.  If you think about it, that's as far as it's going to go, as copyright licenses apply to much of the content of those EPROMs.  So there would be no requirement to have the routers unlocked, or to provide source code!

*Again, I'm well prepared to be wrong, but this is my reading of this!

View more options
HappyNomad
13: Advanced Member

@gipjon wrote:

Can a member of the vodafone admin team please let us know how we can unlock the vodafone router so we can use it again under the new law right to repair 

At a guess, (and it is just a guess), ownership of an ISP modem/router, will never actually pass to the service user and thus, the right to repair will remain wholly and exclusively with the supplying ISP.  

View more options
KeithAlger

HappyNomad is correct, in the current user agreement - section 3.7 (it wasn't always so), ownership of the equipment remains with Vodafone!

View more options
Mark

Thanks for the great points made @KeithAlger & @HappyNomad! I've raised this with the correct team now and as soon as they let me know the full details, I'll be sure to pass this on 😊

View more options
Jayach

@HappyNomad wrote:

@gipjon wrote:

At a guess, (and it is just a guess), ownership of an ISP modem/router, will never actually pass to the service user and thus, the right to repair will remain wholly and exclusively with the supplying ISP.  

But under the WEEE regulations Vodafone should ensure their routers are recycled, and at the moment they do not seem to be doing that. Has anyone been asked to return their router at the end on their contract?

View more options
KeithAlger

There are differences between recycling, repairing, and repurposing.  Historically Vodafone has asked for the return of Customer Premises Equipment (that's their modem/router), even though the working in the agreements was a bit dodgy (it is still dodgy but in a different way).

Distributor obligations
All distributors must:

• offer free take back on WEEE
  • accept WEEE for free from customers supplied with like-for-like products, regardless of whether this is done in-store, online or by mail order
  • retain a record of all WEEE taken back for at least four years
  • provide customers access to written information on the service provided and what they should do with their WEEE

So those obligations are pretty lightweight and don't include much in the way of publicising the process - if Vodafone doesn't ask for its equipment back it's more that you have a right to demand they take it back!  If you ask them to take it back and they fail to make a reasonable effort to do so, things get very interesting legally!

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/consumer/mobile/other/recycling-weee-regulations/

View more options
Cynric
12: Established

.@KeithAlger I left VF earlier this year and not a word from them about taking the THG3000 doorstop back.

View more options
HappyNomad
13: Advanced Member

@Cynric wrote:

.@KeithAlger I left VF earlier this year and not a word from them about taking the THG3000 doorstop back.

Vodafone say:  

Broadband router return – If you have a Home Broadband router that needs returning to us, please get in touch by calling 08080 034 515, free from all UK landlines and mobiles or 191 from a Vodafone mobile.

Presumably, Vodafone have no objection to an ex subscriber retaining the router  (for use as a paperweight or doorstop) but also presumably, the ex subscriber then assumes responsibility for its appropriate disposal. (Perhaps by calling Vodafone to arrange the eventual return of the router to them).

View more options
clint_flick
11: Established

Hi

""or to provide source code!""

You would be amazed at just how quick the source code is available from the German arm of VodaFone.

If only the UK was as capable.

The link is from 2020 and must be a dead duck by now, however the invitation to download and share is a VodaFone first in this forum?

vbnt-j_vox3uk_19.2.203_1_20200124.tar.bz2208 MB0dc9c16e581a5622b18275a1b30596d58801a0763f6338f56947f31fef9d5b3

Please click on the following link to download the attachments: https://justshare.vodafone.com/message/cGoMa08MueRZt6vQRBKqEr

This email or download link can be forwarded to anyone.

The attachments are available until: Freitag, 31 Juli.

View more options