Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone hub as modem only and ethernet port

nat16
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I am not a IT technician 

my children are using the ethernet port and this is annoying because I can not control  how much time they spend on internet in the evening ... (yes i do switch off the vodafone hub, but they can easily switch it back!)

Os i am guessing i will need

- vodafone hub set up as a MODEM only

- a better router which has a better control to allow me to swicth off equipement at given time (not sure yet which model)

If the Vodafone hub is configured as modem only, will the ethernet still be usable by the kids?

5 REPLIES 5

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@nat16 wrote:

- vodafone hub set up as a MODEM only

Not possible I'm afraid.

But you can set internet times via content controls in your account.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/webcenter/portal/myvodafone/pages_manageservices/managecontentcontrols

It can't be set to modem only??  That's depressing.

I really want to use my own switch and wifi hubs.

Can anyone recommend a 500Mbps service from someone other than vodafone whose hub can be a modem only?

Jayach

@belfastbiker 

You do realise on FTTP there is no modem? The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) serves that purpose. You can connect your own router direct to it. You will need your PPPoE login from Vodafone, get that on live chat.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

The only problem is you will lose the phone service, unless you are very good with VoIP.

Today is a learning day!

OK FTTP  is new to me - after a bit of googling, I think I'm on FTTC with my 76Mbps connection*, although Vodafone are upgrading me to 500Mbps* in a fortnight, so I think that'll be FTTP?

* Vodafone: "You can achieve speeds of up to 80 Mbps on FTTC broadband -  However full fibre broadband offers speeds of up to 900 Mbps"

Also haven't used a phone landline in about two decades :Smiling:

Jayach

@belfastbiker wrote:

OK FTTP  is new to me - after a bit of googling, I think I'm on FTTC with my 76Mbps connection*, although Vodafone are upgrading me to 500Mbps* in a fortnight, so I think that'll be FTTP?

Yes that sounds about right. If you have your own router, getting it working on FTTP should be fairly easy, so wait until you have been upgraded, and get your PPPoE details then (they may be different to those on FTTC) and if you have problems connecting it there should be someone here who can help.