Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WiFi Issue - Old Laptop Not Working On New Ultra Hub

WinTroutman
4: Newbie

Hi everyone, 

I just went live with fibre 500 package and Ultra Hub, Apple TV, etc.  Great package.  Except, an older laptop cannot connect by wifi.  Dont get further than’NO INTERNET, SECURED’ and globe instead of a wifi symbol.  I spent too long on a live chat (after finally making it past TOBi, the worst Ai ever), but the tech finally Sid that the problem was in my device, not the network.

This worked just fine with the old BT fibre, so it’s frustrating. The laptop must be about six years old, running an i7 and 8 bg ram.   Anyone have any ideas?  

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lee_Paul
4: Newbie

Hi WinTroutman, I was having issues with my older laptop connecting to my router. I ordered the following tiny USB adaptor for £8.49 and now get full speed through the 5GHZ frequency set in the router. Got to be worth a try for a small price :). 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266215689082?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=4vIJooT5QTC&s...

View solution in original position

36 REPLIES 36

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@WinTroutman  is this on 2.5GHz or 5GHz Wi-Fi? Have you tried retyping the Wi-Fi password. I have seen various routers that were; very fussy case sensitive, or all lower case or even all uppercase, when it came to entering the password. 

Yes.  The password is good (I changed the original) and is entered correctly.  Thanks!

I’ve tried the normal mode, guest, and ‘Premium’ - compatibility.

I should say that Guest and Normal mode are 2.4/5 GHZ; premium/Compatibility also has 6GHZ

Cynric

@WinTroutman Assuming that I found the right page at HP, there was a BIOS update last December and a Network one last May.

Ripshod

What's the model of the laptop? What version of windows is on it? 

It’s an HP 15-DAXXXX.  It’s running Windows 10.

Ripshod

Why did you obfuscate the model number of the laptop? The reason I asked is so I could help you. The model number isn't sensitive data in any way. 

Jayach

’NO INTERNET, SECURED" means it's connected to the router, but can't reach the internet.

Are you running any security software on the laptop, and is it definately getting an I.P. address from the DHCP server?