cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wireless channel selection missing in expert mode?

Adster
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

I was having some issues with my modem/router THG-3000, so I did a factory reset. However, now there is no option to select the wireless channels in expert mode. I need to manually select my 5GHZ channel to achieve max speeds on my wireless.

Was this removed by a recent firmware update or is my router bugged?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found a solution to change the channel! While the issue still does exist (and hopefully they fix it soon) when trying to change the channel in Expert Mode, if you have Vodafone App you cna change the channel for your Wi-Fi through that. I hav the iOS version of the app, and in that, if I go to Wi-Fi, then Advanced Settings I cna change the channel in there. Hope this helps!

View solution in original position

206 REPLIES 206

To be honest, I’m on a business account as a non-business owner. Potentially that could be the reason. 

Just logged into my router and the attached banner message was displayed. Not sure if this is related to the manual channels being enabled or something else.

vodafone.jpg

Hi, joined today and I have successfully changed the 5 GHz channel using Vodafone Broadband App version 4.1.0. 

This can be downloaded from Aptoide Android App Store.

Thanks. 

https://vodafone-broadband.en.aptoide.com/app 

Thanks - i downgraded my app using the above link and NOW can change my channel. Vodafone - you need to sort this out - please do not dumb down 'expert' mode any more.  You have wasted so much of my time.

FYI, all channel settings have disappeared again. Vodafone are a disgrace, I will swiftly be moving to another supplier after my term is over! Sort it out Vodafone, your service is crap and your customer service is a disgrace!

Unfortunately mine got disconnected the other day as well, but I quickly changed back with the App.

Not sure if a firmware update has been deployed to the router, perhaps someone can confirm. 

If that's the case, it looks like it's going to constantly reset itself with each update. 

Fingers crossed Vodafone will sort it out and return the functionality via the main interface. 

Ta

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi everyone! With the launch of our new Wi-Fi Doctor service (which has the ability to make band steering and channel changes much more informative automatically), we found that splitting the SSIDs manually through the GUI actually hinders the service when managing your Wi-Fi and improving your connection.

With the launch, we no longer need to split the SSID or manually select a channel - instead we'd need to ensure you're part of our Wi-Fi Doctor service and that your router is reporting to it along with being in the optimal configuration, combined SSID and the auto channel selection is active.

If you're unsure whether you're currently using our Wi-Fi Doctor service, please get in touch via 191 from a Vodafone mobile (or 03333 040 191 from any other line), Live Chat or Social Media and we'll be happy to check this is on your account.
Should this already be active, when logging into our GUI and selecting the 'Wi-Fi' tab, you'll need to switch 'Split Wi-Fi bands (SSID)' to off and click 'Apply' at the bottom of the page. 
If you're still having issues when doing this, please reach out to us through the methods mentioned and we can ensure this is set up correctly. We'll run through further steps depending on which of our routers you're using, so you can benefit from this new service.

What vodafone need to understand is that people want to split the networks in order to control what devices connect to which frequency.  We still want to be able to manually select a channel.  When did you become Apple, as this is the sort of thing they would do.  Please listen to what people are saying and give back manual settings in expert mode. We do not need an algorithm that really has no idea what is best for an individual persons needs.

Any algorithm powered automated "doctor" service isn't going to be as flexible as allowing (expert) users to make their own choices. I have some devices that will not connect to the upper channels of the 5GHz range, this didn't stop the router from choosing those incompatible channels for the WiFi network because (of course) they are less cluttered with other SSIDs.

In a city apartment surrounded by other networks, it has always been more reliable to assess the situation and choose wifi network settings manually.

I'm sure many can and will benefit from your Wifi Doctor service, but, given my experience of the performance of the Vodafone router without manual intervention, all it means for me is that I'll have to get another Access Point and cancel my contract when it's up.

Cynric
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
With the launch of our new Wi-Fi Doctor service (which has the ability to make band steering and channel changes much more informative automatically), we found that splitting the SSIDs manually through the GUI actually hinders the service when managing your Wi-Fi and improving your connection.

I don't think so Vodafone. You haven't any idea of the customer's situation, the construction of their dwelling or the other electrical/eletronic devices nearby.