main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Wireless channel selection missing in expert mode?

SOLVED
View solved solution
3: Seeker

Hi, joined today and I have successfully changed the 5 GHz channel using Vodafone Broadband App version 4.1.0. 

This can be downloaded from Aptoide Android App Store.

Thanks. 

https://vodafone-broadband.en.aptoide.com/app 

View more options

Thanks - i downgraded my app using the above link and NOW can change my channel. Vodafone - you need to sort this out - please do not dumb down 'expert' mode any more.  You have wasted so much of my time.

View more options
4: Newbie

FYI, all channel settings have disappeared again. Vodafone are a disgrace, I will swiftly be moving to another supplier after my term is over! Sort it out Vodafone, your service is crap and your customer service is a disgrace!

View more options

Unfortunately mine got disconnected the other day as well, but I quickly changed back with the App.

Not sure if a firmware update has been deployed to the router, perhaps someone can confirm. 

If that's the case, it looks like it's going to constantly reset itself with each update. 

Fingers crossed Vodafone will sort it out and return the functionality via the main interface. 

Ta

View more options

Hi everyone! With the launch of our new Wi-Fi Doctor service (which has the ability to make band steering and channel changes much more informative automatically), we found that splitting the SSIDs manually through the GUI actually hinders the service when managing your Wi-Fi and improving your connection.

With the launch, we no longer need to split the SSID or manually select a channel - instead we'd need to ensure you're part of our Wi-Fi Doctor service and that your router is reporting to it along with being in the optimal configuration, combined SSID and the auto channel selection is active.

If you're unsure whether you're currently using our Wi-Fi Doctor service, please get in touch via 191 from a Vodafone mobile (or 03333 040 191 from any other line), Live Chat or Social Media and we'll be happy to check this is on your account.
Should this already be active, when logging into our GUI and selecting the 'Wi-Fi' tab, you'll need to switch 'Split Wi-Fi bands (SSID)' to off and click 'Apply' at the bottom of the page. 
If you're still having issues when doing this, please reach out to us through the methods mentioned and we can ensure this is set up correctly. We'll run through further steps depending on which of our routers you're using, so you can benefit from this new service.

View more options

What vodafone need to understand is that people want to split the networks in order to control what devices connect to which frequency.  We still want to be able to manually select a channel.  When did you become Apple, as this is the sort of thing they would do.  Please listen to what people are saying and give back manual settings in expert mode. We do not need an algorithm that really has no idea what is best for an individual persons needs.

View more options

Any algorithm powered automated "doctor" service isn't going to be as flexible as allowing (expert) users to make their own choices. I have some devices that will not connect to the upper channels of the 5GHz range, this didn't stop the router from choosing those incompatible channels for the WiFi network because (of course) they are less cluttered with other SSIDs.

In a city apartment surrounded by other networks, it has always been more reliable to assess the situation and choose wifi network settings manually.

I'm sure many can and will benefit from your Wifi Doctor service, but, given my experience of the performance of the Vodafone router without manual intervention, all it means for me is that I'll have to get another Access Point and cancel my contract when it's up.

View more options

Good Morning @Tash,

Thank you for reply. Unfortunately Vodafone's solution for improving the service doesn't quite add up with what user's have installed at home. 

The reason we have to split SSIDs is because we want to ensure some devices remain connected on the fastest link possible. 

I have 2 Amazon FireTV 4K 2nd Gen boxes (older devices, but Amazon's most powerful hardware to date) and these do not support channel 100. So when the router scans for a free channel, it jumps to "preferred" channel 100 and connection drops on both boxes or I ends up with 2.4GHz. So goodbye decent 4K streaming. 

We would like more professional features added to the router and giving users control to manage their own hardware. I guess that's why the router comes with a basic and expert level of configuration. 

Perhaps we could have the channel selection option reinstated via the GUI and for an extra improvement, allow us to select the range of channels WiFi Doctor can potentially connect to, or disable it completely. 

I'm quite happy for basic mode to have Vodafone's WiFi Doctor enabled as "most users" will be quite happy with its default setup, but the expert mode needs to release control back to the user (as per original design). 

If that's not possible, I guess some of us will just have to use a 3rd party router and avoid Vodafone in the future. 

I'm quite happy to have the WiFi Doctor service turned off, so I'll be contacting Live Chat straight away. 

Hope to hear from you / Vodafone soon. 

View more options
6: Helper
With the launch of our new Wi-Fi Doctor service (which has the ability to make band steering and channel changes much more informative automatically), we found that splitting the SSIDs manually through the GUI actually hinders the service when managing your Wi-Fi and improving your connection.

I don't think so Vodafone. You haven't any idea of the customer's situation, the construction of their dwelling or the other electrical/eletronic devices nearby. 

View more options

I''ve just sent a DM on Twitter as the live chat was just spinning.  Let's see how many agents it takes to understand that I want it turned off and if they even know about the 'new service'.  I really don't understand what Vodafone's issue is with allowing customers to choose to have control over their own set-up...I get that some people play around with things and end up causing problems but we're not all idiots, so please allow us to decide!

View more options

It's good to hear from you Tash - but i would like to add weight to the comments of others.  

I have a personal, though not overly complicated set up.  It requires a number of (wds) routers to connect to the main Vodafone router to allow me to get good service in the garden and other parts of the house - you might be aware that a lot more people are home working.  It allows me to access a small DLNA server.  Some of the wds routers cannot handle automatic changing of channels from the main router - so i need a static channel for that reason.  This results in nothing working but the main router.  

This situation, that was been working fine for me for at least a year, has caused me a lot of headaches and I don't really see why I should be calling up some contact centres (cost you and I time/money) when this is a perfectly easy situation to resolve.

View more options

I think one of the problems with Vodafone agents and also managers (ie "I'm going to escalate your request to my manager") is that most of them don't even know what we are talking about. They are like bots repeating some kind of mantra they have been fed – this is at least my experience. Last time I was so desperate that I even asked if I was talking to a bot.

View more options

@vigom wrote:

They are like bots repeating some kind of mantra they have been fed – this is at least my experience. Last time I was so desperate that I even asked if I was talking to a bot.

Like many service desk operations they are probably following a script and/or flow-chart. Deviate from the norm and they cannot help and have to escalate it.

View more options

@tash,

interesting feature.  how does wifi doctor cope with interference from Zigbee channels overlapping with 2.4GHz?

I rang a 191 operative, they knew nothing of WiFi Doctor, then denied it could be turned off.

View more options

Hey @mark_newbs, As the Wi-Fi Doctor service has the ability to look at a larger data set than just a local scan, the decisions made with band steering and channel changes are much more informed. As the Zigbee and WiFi channels only cross over a small number of frequencies, I'm sure this interference has been taken into consideration and won't cause any problems.

View more options

@Mark wrote:

Hey @mark_newbs, As the Wi-Fi Doctor service has the ability to look at a larger data set than just a local scan, the decisions made with band steering and channel changes are much more informed. As the Zigbee and WiFi channels only cross over a small number of frequencies, I'm sure this interference has been taken into consideration and won't cause any problems.

I think I'd like to see some details about this "Wi-Fi Doctor" and what it can do. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to give us a link to a specification of its capabilities. 

View more options

As someone who works in data analytics, I'm confused why you'd need national data to infer what's best for my very, very local needs. I'll go elsewhere when my contract is up.

View more options

Thanks @Mark, can you elaborate on the larger data set? Is this data acquired from my hub, if so, what data? SSIDs? MAC Addresses? Is the MAC then looked up to see vendor information? This list could get pretty long pretty quickly... Please elaborate on this.

Regards the WiFi and ZigBee coexistence query, of the 3 WiFi channels that are not overlapping (1, 6 and 11) and the 4 ZigBee channels that don't overlap, how can you say that they only overlap in a small set of frequencies? If I have a 2 channel reuse (it was a3 channel reuse plan but ZigBee speed that) plan around the 4 access points (one being the Vodafone router) I need to plan which channels are used to stop interference on the single ZigBee channel that is free of sidelobes. 

If WiFi doctor changes the channel used then I suddenly have a big admin headache to reassess which channels are used and create a new network plan.

View more options

@Mark the Vodafone THG3000 has only gone and changed its 2.4GHz channel to channel 12 which overlaps with the ZigBee channel 25 I am using for my ZigBee network! 

How can we turn off this madness (that's your WiFi doctor service). It's been 48 his since I requested the WiFi doctor service to be stopped so I can manually manage my WiFi channels but I haven't had any communications from the tech2 team like I was promised by your service agent.

View more options
13: Advanced Member

Unless I misunderstood, turning off the WiFi doctor (if it's even running) will not then enable you to control the WiFi channels manually.

View more options