main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Wireless channel selection missing in expert mode?

SOLVED
View solved solution
mikeb2
4: Newbie

If there is anyone from Vodafone with a brain that is reading this - WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU PLAYING AT? This is a complete shambles. A month ago I was able to set my wifi channels, and now you've removed that (essential) facility that every other wireless router/access point has. Please put it back on again immediately.

Whoever came up with this idea is a total cretin and needs to be fired. In fact, it's borderline criminal to hijack someone's hardware and reconfigure it without their permission. You have no idea what you're messing with remotely. I'm an RF network engineer, and I'm perfectly cometent at selecting what frequencies to run my equipment on. Unlike your mysterious WitchDoctor service which has put my router on channel 6 (when it can clearly see that numerous neighbouring access points are also transmitting on that channel). Meanwhile channels 1 and 11 are completely clear.

View more options
mark_newbs

@tash can you comment on your message - "Should this already be active, when logging into our GUI and selecting the 'Wi-Fi' tab, you'll need to switch 'Split Wi-Fi bands (SSID)' to off and click 'Apply' at the bottom of the page. " 

I read this to mean that if WiFi doctor is turned off then we then get manual channel selection back.

I also don't use the split bands option as I only work on the 2.4ghz frequencies.

View more options
D_Evans
2: Seeker

Just registered to say how absurd the policy of deciding how your customers should use their own hardware in their own homes is after discovering the missing WiFi channel on my GFs router. I'll be advising her to choose a different provider when her term expires. It is irrelevant if VF are correct about their supposed 'superior' automated knowledge (exceptionally unlikely) - the principle of removing her/my choice of how to operate a network in her own home is completely unacceptable. 

View more options
Cynric
8: Helper

Paging the moderator(s) ...

A week ago I asked for the specification of the Wi-Fi Doctor Service and nothing has happened.

*Tumbleweed*

What appears to have be stated by VF so far boils down to a summary of "you can't change anything, nanny knows best" and "VF can remotely access the router without the customer's permission". 

Perhaps it's time to have a little word in the ear of Ofcom?

View more options
MickJ
3: Seeker

My old Humax freeview box needs a higher channel number,  been working well on 8 for years - yesterday auto switched to channel 4 and I lost wifi control on the box, lost iplayer etc !!!!!!!!!!

I have adjusted the channels before but things have changed for some reason, not impressed at the moment.

As earlier posts @itoney and @radumamy and others the old version of app allowed resetting of channel to 8.

https://vodafone-broadband.en.aptoide.com/app 

Lets hope that stays as is, I don't want to reinstall this app every time I want to change channel.

(Edit: found the checkbox on play that stops the old app updating, happy for now but what a waste of time)

What are you doing Vodafone ?    not listening that's for sure. 

View more options
radumamy

My suggestion will be to keep the App always installed on your phone and do not update it. Use it whenever is required. We've noticed settings magically default back to automatic channel selection when VF deploy a firmware update or they have issues in house and send whatever reset signals to the router in order to restore functionality.

Vodafone please listen to your users and restore functionality via main Web GUI Expert mode. 

Thanks. 

View more options
Cynric

Hello moderators,

I'm really disappointed that you are ignoring my request for the specification of the Wi-Fi Doctor Service.

View more options
mark_newbs

I've been using the 2.4ghz only mode of the THG3000. After zero support on these forums I broke out an old ddwrt AP I had in the cupboard thinking I could disable WiFi on the THG3000/VOX.

Do you think the UI on routers web config page would let me... Apparently not....

So we are forced to use WiFi even if we don't want it enabled?

First time I have been unable to disable WiFi on a ISPs provided router.

View more options
Cynric

That's odd. On my THG3000 in expert mode I have all Wi-Fi OFF. Downstream I have a second router which provides Wi-Fi on the channels I need and wired connections as well. I have too much overlap with neighbours to allow the THG3000 to auto-assign channels, it just doesn't work. We seem to be in a constant "arm race" with each new router having stronger and stronger signals.

Please don't let this be a sign that the next THG3000 firmware update will leave the Wi-Fi always on.

View more options
Jayach
15: Advanced member

@mark_newbs wrote:

thinking I could disable WiFi on the THG3000/VOX.

Do you think the UI on routers web config page would let me... Apparently not....

It's the first toggle on the General Wi-Fi Settings page on my THG3000.

What firmware do you have? Mine is 19.2.0203-3261005 

View more options
mark_newbs

I did find a workaround, enable both 2.4 and 5GHz channels and then I could disable WiFi.

What was strange was I then had a hidden 5GHz network show up in inSSIDer which I have never seen before. I haven't yet investigated the source but my trust in the Vodafone router had been severely reduced after this whole experience.

View more options
mark_newbs

@jayach I could find the toggle, I could apply but when the page refreshed the WiFi was still on and the toggle had reset to on. I had to enable both bands to get the toggle to "stick" to being off

View more options
Jayach

I can't find anyway to disable just the 5Ghz. (mind you why would you want to?)

View more options
mark_newbs

@jayach I have about 20 wired devices, 5 wireless smart speakers (over 3 APs) and 3 tablets/phones. I have zero neighbors within 50 metres so get little congestion on 2.4GHz.

I have 2 devices that do not have 5GHz transceivers (printer and camera). It simplifies my deployment, it means 802.11r can work better and I have less headache in determining which channel is causing any issues. Effectively halves my maintenance of the WiFi estate.

it also means I can really dial down the transmit power reducing my attack vectors and also improving the transfer from one AP to another.

There a frequency drop down on my firmware that selects which bands are enabled.

View more options
Jayach

@mark_newbs wrote:

There a frequency drop down on my firmware that selects which bands are enabled.

So there is. I have my bands split (The 5Ghz works so much better for me and I want those devices that can to be definitely using it), and then there is no such drop down. I have loads of 2.4Ghz broadcasts around me, but all the other 5Ghz's are using channel 36 and my router is using 100 so I have it all to myself.

View more options
MickJ

As a quick update from my earlier post, using the older app ( https://vodafone-broadband.en.aptoide.com/app )  just found it auto updated, searched google to find a checkbox to turn off auto update, fingers crossed.

View more options
Dr_J

Just as another datapoint: My router decided to shift around its 5GHz channel assignment this morning, causing the firestick to fall off the Internet. Just used the older Android app to reset back to something the firestick can actually see.

I don't see any channel selection options in my routers config.

View more options
CrossChannel

Hi - this thread helped me solve my similar, related problem, thanks.

Remotely imposed channel switching (and the inability to override it) meant that some of my devices couldn't see my network. Changing the channels they are set to receive on fixed it: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Square-router-network-is-suddenly-invisible-...

I hope this can help anyone else with a similar issue.

View more options
Stephen1985manu
2: Seeker

Hi what did u do in the end because i can't get the same device to even pickup the 5ghz signal or when the signals are not split it won't pickup any signal 

View more options
matt-hkjhkjhkjh

This update is awful. It has put both my 5GHz networks on the same channel! Now they both have to share the same frequency so one is blocked while the other is active.

Such a waste of the router hardware. Why would you release an update that makes a product worse?

Now I to buy another router or sit out my contract and switch when previously I was perfectly happy with the service.

View more options