Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

My phone got disconnected due to 180 days inactivity. Help to get it back

mkostov
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Currently living abroad during covid. 
I would use my phone to connect to friends over wifi. 
My mom got sick and cared for her for quite some time, and did not use my second phone for 3 weeks... 

when I had it in my hands again saw 2 consecutive messages that my phone was to be disconnected. Last message was 3 days old. Tried topping up and calling when I realized my phone number is inactive. For two weeks now have been trying to speak to someone on Vodafone to restore my number... and saw that some people in the forum had luck to do so. 
I expect work calls on the number and it is really damaging my work flow, and in covid every pound matters. 

I ask kindly anyone on the customer service to help out. If the number has recently gone in recycling - please, I simply want it back. 

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

You could speak with the Vodafone Social Media Team's via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries to see if they can help @mkostov 

There used to be around a 2 week window to retrieve a number but unfortunately that is no more.

We are advised that if a Payg number has been deactivated and quarantined then that's where it'll stay and can't be re activated for the original user.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @mkostov 

The disconnection policy is 180 days of no chargeable activity or top up, you would have been able to keep the number active by making a chargeable activity during the 180 days.  Vodafone sent you the first warning texts followed by a further text 45 days later, you would also have been given a further 45 days after the second text message to top up or make a chargeable connection to remain connected. There is also the added issue of you living abroad and not connected to the UK network.

There is no harm asking Vodafone, but if the number has already gone for recycling, the number would be anywhere in the system and you would have no chance of getting the number back.

It is an Ofcom ruling for the networks that all PAYG numbers have to be in use, there are not an infinite number of mobile telephone numbers available and networks have to disconnect the number when there is no outgoing activity.

gld73
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Just wondering if you had any luck with this OP - I'm in a very similar situation, have a Vodafone PAYG sim which I've used for nearly 20 years, but not used it much recently. Thought I'd managed to do the occasional text to keep it active, but it's now come up as "Inactive SIM" on my phone. I had a lot of credit on it, and don't want to lose the money or the number, as a lot of people have that number for me. I can't log into my account on Vodafone as I need to type in a pin which is being sent to the number which has been made inactive! I'm struggling to find any way forward and was hoping someone had got the same problem resolved and could give me some pointers!

Nope, still hoping for someone on support to pay attention and answer - point us out. 
same on my end... Hoping somehow there might be a solution to this. 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey guys @gld73 @mkostov - I appreciate how important it is to retrieve your numbers. If you could drop us a message on social media via the link @BandOfBrothers provided above we can get this checked. We are unable to assure you that the numbers will be able to be reconnected to your account, but we'll certainly look into it and do what we can.

Thanks, used the messenger link yesterday, hope something can be done. Fingers crossed....

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

When a number is disconnected it's supposed to be put on hold for six months before being re-issued to a new user.  This allows the number to be reconnected if disconnected in error and helps prevent unwanted calls being received by the new user. However, if the number was ported out and is no longer on the network it was originally assigned to and later disconnected, that number is returned to the network it was originally assigned to.  Example:- , Your number was originally on o2, you ported to EE and then to Vodafone, you stay with Vodafone for 20 years and then cancel your service, once disconnected the number is returned to o2.

So unless an extended period of time has elapsed and you didn't port in from another network, Vodafone should be able to reconnect your service. Not saying they will, just that they should be able to.

Thanks, yes, it's always been on Vodafone.

The Messenger link was useful, I'm hopeful it will sort things out :Smiling:

Same for mine. 
I just sent them a message too . 
Hope it all works out for yours. 
please, let me know if yours get recovered. 
thank you