main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay as you go

Not Receiving OTP from anyone

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Hello, 

I recently ported to Vodafone and since then have stopped receiving OTP messages from various sources such as Banks, Apps, Websites (Banks include - Santander/Citi bank (local as well as overseas). Apps/websites include - airbnb/yoyo wallet) etc.  For some reason, I get OTP messages from Vodafone.  

I used to get all the OTP messages when I was with my earlier provider (i.e. Vectone). 

I have tried contacting customer care multiple times regarding this, but no one is agreeing to the fact that there is something wrong. I also showed this to the sales agents from Vodafone shops, but they too were not capable of understanding the issue.  As a last resort, I am writing on this forum hoping to get the problem solved. 

Would appreciate all the help I can get

Thanks,

View more options
9 REPLIES 9
17: Community Champion

Very occasionally a ported in number to Vodafone can have a few glitches while the port completes.

However if the porting in has been more than a few days then rarely an issue called a Split Port can occur where not all the porting in files have settled correctly. 

Customer service on 191 or Live Chat can escalate such issues to their porting in Teams.

While on the phone or online with customer service you could ask them to also check your account for any issues / bars etc that maybe hindering your user experience @akashkat 

Also check in your myvodafone that you haven't got premium text messages activated. 

As a process of elimination can you try your sim card in another phone to rule out the phone or any internal settings it has is hindering the messages. 

A similar thread Not-receiving-OTPs-from-anywhere-but-Vodafone.

If you get stuck then please do come back to the forum and one of the Vodafone Social Media Teams here can see if they can help.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
17: Community Champion

Hi @akashkat 

Your port has gone through you are able to use all Vodafone services and the only issue here will be receiving OTP's.

The number stored with your bank and other services will probably be with your previous SIM and this is going to mean having to contact these companies and asking them to reset or remove your number to enable you to add the number and set this up again with your new mobile service provider, this may be something you can do through your online account with the services you are trying to receive the OTP from.  As soon as this has been done this should enable the texts to start coming through again.  Understandably this is going to cause you inconvenience and time.

I very much doubt that it is a Vodafone problem and the texts are being blocked as security and phishing prevention.

However, the Team will get to the thread and will be able to make sure there is nothing at account level with Vodafone stopping these texts getting through to your number.

View more options

Thank you @very much for your reply.

I have tried putting my Vodafone SIM card in another phone, but that didn't work.  Also ,I was using my old SIM card with my current phone when I used to get these messages. 

Also the Premium rate information text bar is OFF.

When I had called 191 or tried to talk to an agent over chat, I got a reply that my account has no bars and everything looks normal. and hence they did not escalate the issue. I was told to check if my number is correctly registered with the other agencies, and if/so try changing that registered number :-(

View more options

Thank you @AnnS for your reply. 

I have not yet done this, deregistering and registering again with the same number, exercise with my bank or other services. As I thought that wouldn't be required as the registered number is the same. But will try that out too. 

One of the problems to that is, you need OTP to change any account level information :-| 

I will visit the bank and try changing it there.  Once done, will update here. 

View more options

@AnnS

I just now removed my number from airbnb account and registered back with the same number. 

while doing so, i was asked to verify the number via SMS (OTP), But I did not receive any message. hence could not validate. 

Strangely, I was able to verify my number using 'call me' option. 

View more options
4: Newbie

@akashkat

I had a similar problem with my phone. Could not get any text messages from my bank HSBC.

I discovered the problem was with the messaging app I use - Google Messages. When I went into the advanced settings, my phone number said it was unknown. After I manually inputted it, cleared cache from app, I was able to receive text messages from my bank.

Three things to check on your messaging app - 

1) Service messages can be received. It's a tick option on Google Messaging.

2) Your phone number is showing correctly.

3) SMBC is showing as - 07785 016005. This is Vodafone's service centre number.

I too wish you luck.

View more options

Thanks, @ReedPR for the suggestion.

The Message Center number was not set up in my case,  I have added that now.

But, even after doing the settings as suggested by you, when I tried deleting and adding back my number on airbnb site. sadly it did not work. I  was not able to get the SMS (OTP). The "call me" option works. 

View more options

@akashkat  - Thanks for going through all of the above tests. I’d like us to double check your account from a network level. We can then make sure there aren’t any text bars.

Please  send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

View more options

Thanks @Gemma. I have filled the form out. Hope you now have all the necessary information to resolve the issue. 

Please let me know if there is anything else you need from my side.

View more options