Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not Receiving OTP from anyone

akashkat
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello, 

I recently ported to Vodafone and since then have stopped receiving OTP messages from various sources such as Banks, Apps, Websites (Banks include - Santander/Citi bank (local as well as overseas). Apps/websites include - airbnb/yoyo wallet) etc.  For some reason, I get OTP messages from Vodafone.  

I used to get all the OTP messages when I was with my earlier provider (i.e. Vectone). 

I have tried contacting customer care multiple times regarding this, but no one is agreeing to the fact that there is something wrong. I also showed this to the sales agents from Vodafone shops, but they too were not capable of understanding the issue.  As a last resort, I am writing on this forum hoping to get the problem solved. 

Would appreciate all the help I can get

Thanks,

18 REPLIES 18

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Very occasionally a ported in number to Vodafone can have a few glitches while the port completes.

However if the porting in has been more than a few days then rarely an issue called a Split Port can occur where not all the porting in files have settled correctly. 

Customer service on 191 or Live Chat can escalate such issues to their porting in Teams.

While on the phone or online with customer service you could ask them to also check your account for any issues / bars etc that maybe hindering your user experience @akashkat 

Also check in your myvodafone that you haven't got premium text messages activated. 

As a process of elimination can you try your sim card in another phone to rule out the phone or any internal settings it has is hindering the messages. 

A similar thread Not-receiving-OTPs-from-anywhere-but-Vodafone.

If you get stuck then please do come back to the forum and one of the Vodafone Social Media Teams here can see if they can help.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you @very much for your reply.

I have tried putting my Vodafone SIM card in another phone, but that didn't work.  Also ,I was using my old SIM card with my current phone when I used to get these messages. 

Also the Premium rate information text bar is OFF.

When I had called 191 or tried to talk to an agent over chat, I got a reply that my account has no bars and everything looks normal. and hence they did not escalate the issue. I was told to check if my number is correctly registered with the other agencies, and if/so try changing that registered number 😞

Not able to receive OTP, on international roaming activated already.

Currently located in the USA, help to resolve this.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @5589pn, do you have any issues receiving OTP messages whilst in the UK? Have you only started to have this problem whilst abroad? Have you checked for any bars on your account using your My Vodafone app or My Vodafone online account?

Hello, 

I have the same problem here, not receiving OTP from any website except Vodafone.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

So we can access your account securely to raise a case with our technical team, please send us a message on Facebook or Twitter @Stacy1306. We'll then be able to help so that you can receive OTPs from other companies. If you include your Community username and a link to your post when you message our team, you won't need to repeat your query and we can track down your message if needed 👍

AnnS

Hi @akashkat 

Your port has gone through you are able to use all Vodafone services and the only issue here will be receiving OTP's.

The number stored with your bank and other services will be with your previous SIM and this is going to mean having to contact these companies and asking them to reset or remove your number to enable you to add the number and set this up again with your new mobile service provider, this may be something you can do through your online account with the services you are trying to receive the OTP from.  As soon as this has been done this should enable the texts to start coming through again.  Understandably this is going to cause you inconvenience and time.

I doubt that it is a Vodafone problem and the texts are being blocked as security and phishing prevention by your bank or the company sending the OTP.

However, the Team will get to the thread and will be able to make sure there is nothing at account level with Vodafone stopping these texts getting through to your number.

Thank you @AnnS for your reply. 

I have not yet done this, deregistering and registering again with the same number, exercise with my bank or other services. As I thought that wouldn't be required as the registered number is the same. But will try that out too. 

One of the problems to that is, you need OTP to change any account level information 😐 

I will visit the bank and try changing it there.  Once done, will update here. 

@AnnS

I just now removed my number from airbnb account and registered back with the same number. 

while doing so, i was asked to verify the number via SMS (OTP), But I did not receive any message. hence could not validate. 

Strangely, I was able to verify my number using 'call me' option.