cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Retrieving an old mobile number, how to go about it?

markc89
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello to all,

I'm looking for a little help, or should I say information on retrieving an old mobile number that I once had with Vodafone. However, I had this number in questions most probably touching just over 10 years ago!

I do remember the number very well and after a search to find out who the owner/carrier is, it does indeed come back as Vodafone. I've even tried calling the number and it's currently not in use.

Initial thoughts and comments I'm sure will be that there's no chance, and indeed it may have even been used by somebody else after me. However, surely there must be some way to retrieve an old number, not in use. I used to work for a telecommunications company and providing that the number was not use and was not in a quarantine pool, we could reassign all numbers that originated within our company. In fact, some time ago you could even buy the number and we could hold it.

I know every company is different but I have a feel it's more of a case of we can't really be bothered, or don't bother us with stupid requests, just take a god damn new number and let me get back to chomping on my pen.

Having spoken with customer services PayAsYouGo, I found them very unhelpful, as expected in all honesty. They simply searched the number and said I can't find it. Now, however, I'm looking for a serious answer with some possible positive outcome.

How can I retrieve this number? even if it means paying to Vodafone for it? I don't even mind being on the Vodafone network in order just to have it. And more so, who in Vodafone will be most likely to help and point me in the right direction.

Thank you to all in advance.

Mark

108 REPLIES 108

Hello to All. My PAYG phone now displays "emergency calls only". I had no warning from Vodafone that my number (and the account credit) was about to be seized. I'm guessing it happened less than 90 days ago. Please tell me you can restore full use of my phone, same phone number and its credit. Lost access to my number is a massive issue for me. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I discovered the problem 5 days ago so it seems unlikely that its a network issue because Vodafone would have fixed it by now.  On the network map there is a black symbol a few streets away that might mean "maintenance", so I have a glimmer of hope. Will take the phone to other areas and see if it works there, then return to this Forum with my conclusion.  

Hi 

How do i send you a private message on trying to get a old number back? 

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

@sakthar96 

Your unable to send a moderator a private message.

A person needs to contact the team via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi there, 

I was Googling to find out information relating to this very issue. I also have an old number that was assigned to me when I was on vodafone. I too would like to retrieve an old number that I had on vodafone that is dead when I call it. I wonder if vodafone would help me get it back? 
Who would be the best department to speak too?

BandOfBrothers

@hdiuk wrote:

Hi there, 

I was Googling to find out information relating to this very issue. I also have an old number that was assigned to me when I was on vodafone. I too would like to retrieve an old number that I had on vodafone that is dead when I call it. I wonder if vodafone would help me get it back? 
Who would be the best department to speak too?

Hi @hdiuk 

Speak to customer services via 》 contact-us  i.e Live Chat or via their phone numbers 191 from a Vodafone Mobile and or the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

If a number has only recently been suspended and quarantined i.e days then there's a chance of having it assigned back to you.. 

If it's been a while i.e weeks + then unfortunately you may have permanently lost it.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Hi I have an old number that was originally Vodafone some 21 years ago and then migrated to O2, I ended my contract with O2 a few years ago, but didn't bring the number to my new network. When I try to ring the number it come up as invaild number. I’m trying to find out if I can retrieve the number.

BandOfBrothers

@Luong wrote:

Hi I have an old number that was originally Vodafone some 21 years ago and then migrated to O2, I ended my contract with O2 a few years ago, but didn't bring the number to my new network. When I try to ring the number it come up as invaild number. I’m trying to find out if I can retrieve the number.

If I understand your post correctly the number was last used on the o2 network @Luong  So if so you would need to engage with o2 to ask what they can do.

As it currently shows as invalid when you ring it this will mean it's been deactivated and placed in quarantine until the network decides re re allocate it back to a new customer.

Current Phone  >

Hi there , is it possible Vodafone could help me with my old phone number as well pls

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Cypriotxx, we can certainly look into this for you! Depending on when the number was disconnected it may have been recycled but we can confirm that with you if you can drop us a message on Social Media 😊

Make sure to link this thread and your username in the DM!