Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SIM card for SMS only.

Ron43
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I need a SIM card for use in a machine I connect to remotely by SMS message.  All the Vodafone Sims appear to be data based which I don't need.  Does anyone know if I purchase the £10 PAYG SIM which is currently advertised as offering 25GB of data and unlimited text messages will the £10 credit stay on permanently as I would only use it for text messages or when no data is actually being used would the Sim be disconnected?

8 REPLIES 8

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Ron43 - this could be an option for you 🙂 What's the device you need to use it in? 

The £10 credit would stay on the Pay as you go account, but you'd also need to use a chargeable service at least once every 180 days, otherwise your service may be disconnected - you can read full information on this in the Pay as you go terms and conditions

Thanks Amanda.  The device is called a Truma iNet box.  Basically, it's a unit in a motorhome connected to the 12v system so you can send a text message and ask for the status of connected items such as the leisure or starter battery voltages and water tank levels or you can instruct it to switch on or off the heating and/or hot water remotely.  The unit sends a text message back to your phone with either the status you've requested or to confirm it's carried out the instruction you sent.  So if I've understood the PAYG T&C the unit sending back a text message to me would deduct 14p from the £10 credit and I'd have to ensure that one text message at least was sent every 180 days to keep the sim operating?

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for explaining @Ron43 - that does sound a useful bit of kit 🚐 

The fact that the device sends you text messages is ideal, as this will keep it active and yes you're right, the 14p for each text message would just come off your overall balance. You'll be able to manage this via the My Vodafone app 🙂You can order a free SIM online.

Is there anything else I can help with? 

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

As I understand PAYG @Ron43 if you opt out of a Big Value Bundle here: Remove Big Value Bundle you will be on PAYG 1 at a charge of £1.00 per day, even if you only send one text message per day, Vodafone will take £1.00 of your credit.  There is further information here on the FAQ's Vodafone PAYG 

Although I shouldn't say this when you only want to send the occasional text message there are cheaper options available, Google will give you all the information you need.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

My apologies @Ron43 - @AnnS is right, on the standard Pay as you go rates, you'd be charged £1 for a daily rate on the days your device sends a text - you can see more information on the link she's kindly provided 🙂 

Thanks.  A MtM Sim would be ideal but all of these are pointed towards commercial users and are on a monthly payment plan which doesn't really work when we're only talking about less than a dozen texts a year.  Funnily enough Asda Mobile which I understand piggybacks on Vodafone offers a simple PAYG SIM which you can preload with any amount you wish and texts are only 4p in both UK and Europe so think this is where I'll go for this requirement. Pity as with my main mobile phone with Vodafone I had been trying to keep everything together.

Thanks.  I had picked that up from Vodafone's website too.  Not going to work for me for a few texts a year.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

You need to do what's best for your usage @Ron43 🙂 - if you do have any more questions, just let me know.