Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Activating SIM card over 24 hours

Jiji
2: Seeker

It has been over 24 hours of my new SIM card activation. Still no service, take SIM card in and out from slot thousand times and restarting of my phone hundred times still nothing. So upset.

10 REPLIES 10

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Jiji 

A lot depends if you are porting over a number, if you are porting the SIM card will activate when the number moves from the previous network.

If this is a new contract with a new number, this will need account access from the Customer Service channels or speak to the Social Team through Twitter or Facebook here: Contact Us 

Apart from what you have already tried, try going into your connection settings, do a manual network scan, when the list of network comes up select any other network wait for it to reject the request and reselect Vodafone.  However, if it been 24 hours, you may well find the SIM card activates later today.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I’ve been with Vodafone for 5 years so far. Same network same number never changed 

AnnS

Hi @Jiji 

If this is an upgrade, providing the SIM is the correct size, you continue to use the same SIM.  If you have done a SIM swap from here: SIM swap it generally takes around 24 hours for the number to change to the new SIM.

edited to add:  The new SIM you have been sent will be a new plain numberless SIM, this will be the reason you are unable to use the SIM.  If you want to use the new SIM the quickest way would be to use live chat or call Vodafone.

Wasn’t upgrade still the same phone and same package. Just called Vodafone, they never facing this issue before. 

AnnS

Hi @Jiji 

Don't understand that response from Vodafone, or the reason they would have been unable to transfer you number to the new SIM.

If this is the same number and contract, would there be a reason for you being unable to use the same SIM?

@Jiji  Where did you get the new SIM? 

When you are pay monthly, for a SIM swap the SIM has to come from Vodafone ordered through live chat be a pay monthly SIM and will come without any number attached.  You then complete the online form and the number will be on the new SIM within 24 hours probably sooner.  Not quite sure what you have done here, but if the old SIM is still working there is no reason for you being unable to continue to use.

I made mistake for sim swap by accidentally, nothing wrong with my phone or my ex-sim but my mistake 

hrym

There was a problemwith SIM activations a few years back, when the process failed and further attempts would simply queue up behind it.   If that's what's happened, there is a process for breaking the logjam, but frontline Customer Service don't always know about it.   Drop the Social Media team a note on Facebook or Twitter and they'll be able to investiage for you.

This might be what has happened to me. I've SIM swapped twice and still no service. Online chat and telephone operators are useless. Just say wait 24 hrs. Been 4 days now. I'll hit up the social media team instead.

robdevil

Don't worry. you will eventually end up without account and number like me. 8th day now after sim swap error, my number has been disconnected and removed from account. I've lost job offer and few deals on online shopping as I couldn't verify purchase. Ahh not to mention no access to paypal or Amazon or other 2step security services.