Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Text Message from 'Vodafone' - Unable to Process Payment

emmablue29
2: Seeker

I received a text message the day before my Pay Monthly DD was due to go out: 

[VODAFONE]: We are unable to process your latest payment. In order to avoid fees, please update your information via: (link to a website). 

This text came from a mobile number: 07985456797

I'm fairly confident it is a scam... but coincidently my DD has not gone out of my bank even though it is due. I have logged into my Vodafone account and it says my bill is 'paid' but again, still waiting for money to leave my bank. 

Has anyone else ever received similar text or perhaps can advise that it is actually genuine? I don't want to receive missed payment mark on my account! I have reported it to the Vodafone scam text service (7726).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @emmablue29 

If you enter the number on this link :Is Vodafone calling? you will see that this is not a Vodafone number.

Definitely phishing and a scam.

As far as your direct debit it is concerned it will be collected on the day it is due or just after and you will probably find it is claimed by Vodafone at midnight tonight.

Any problems for account access speak to the Social Team through Twitter or Facebook here: Contact Us 

View solution in original position

15 REPLIES 15

AnnS

Hi @Alfredrsharpe 

See this thread: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/Scam/m-p/2687002#M25020

Also this link:  Flubot: Warning over major Android 'package delivery' scam 

If you have clicked on the link and have this on your phone as recommended by Vodafone you should have done a factory reset without doing a back up to clear the phone.

This scam is not only happening to Vodafone customers, millions of O2, EE and 3 customers are also receiving the scam texts.

Just my misfortune then. If I had stayed on Pay As You Go I wouldn't have lost nearly all my savings just 13 days later.

I know I won't get anywhere with this but I want to say why I am still very suspicious.

I have been on PAYG since I started with Vodafone many years ago.

I have received many of the scams going around, like the HMRC and Royal Mail, but never the Vodafone one.

Thirteen days after changing to Pay Monthly I received the Vodafone scam telling me there was a problem with my payment!

Now I'm expected to believe that this was random!

It would be interesting to know how many people have been targeted in similar circumstances.

Dan11111

I had the same message yesterday from 07920 764111

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Dan11111 - This isn't a Vodafone number. Thank you for highlighting! This is a phishing text and wasn't sent by us. We take fraud very seriously so we will close down fraudulent sites and fraudulent SMS senders as quickly as possible. Can you help us by reporting this to our fraud team by forwarding the message to 7726?

Also, if you're ever worried about any missed payments or payments due, please get in contact with us so that we can check your account.

Alfredrsharpe

I received this message two days ago. I suspect that they used it get my details and I was scammed by a lot of money.

I have been trying to find out if they planted some kind of device but have been unable to contact Vodafone.

Any advice please?