Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Turkey after 90 blocking UK phone

ACW219
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have just landed a good job in Turkey for a 1 year contract. I have been informed that after 90 days Turkey will automatically 'block' my UK phone.(UK number). To avoid this, if I get a Turkish Vodafone number (on another phone) can Vodafone UK set up a re-direct calls ect from my UK number to the Turkish number? If I have to pay for this service OK because I just cannot change my number after so many years with Vodafone.

4 REPLIES 4

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @ACW219 

Unfortunately, that won't be possible, you can only divert calls to a UK number. If it was possible you would be charged twice, once for the standard call and again for the charge to call abroad.

Nice idea, but not possible.

If you want to keep the number, it may be an idea to cancel the contract there may be termination charges, tansfer the number to PAYG and ask someone you know in the UK to keep the SIM active. 

Thanks for you reply and advice. You would have thought an international company like Vodafone (who I have been with for years) would have come across this situation before and come up with a solution to keep their customers!!!

Rgds. T

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

From reading your post, it seems your referring to the law in Turkey that requires all foreign devices to be registered. 

You'll find all the information here, you do have the option of registering your device which means you can then continue using your own handset either internationally roaming or using a local sim. 

It does seem like a lot of paperwork and expense (think it's approx £200)

Frustrating I agree but aim that frustration at the Turkish government rather than Vodafone 😀

Hi Donnyguy, don't misunderstand me, I am not aiming my frustration at Vodafone; in fact I have been with Vodafone for many years and think they are 'second to none' in the mobile phone 'jungle' and will continue to be a customer for many years to come. It is the law in Turkey that 'outside' phones must be registered after a 90 day period, failing which they will be 'blocked'. You have the option to 'register' your phone ( and routers etc) for a fee of £200 (approx per item!!!) which as you can appreciate is an expensive game!! BUT that is not the main issue. The main issue (a) Your phone number over the years has been collected by a lot of friends ect (b) is registered with banks, purchasing sites etc that send a 'confirm text' to continue your business.  Vodafone is a 'global' tellicomunications company; in fact, the second largest mobile phone company in Turkey (Turkcell being the 1st) I just thought they would have some 'system' to dedirect calls/texts ect. to another mobile phone. In this case an inexpensive registered Turkish phone on a contract with Vodafone Turkey!!!!!!. Anyway, thank you for your imput. Rgds T