Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

When will WiFi calling support SMS?

BonJoviFan75
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just curious as to when, if ever, Vodafone will enable support to send/receive SMS over WiFi.

I would like to have the option to use phone in airplane mode with WiFi calling on without fear of missing text messages.

EE are the only network to offer this currently?

54 REPLIES 54

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Vodafone has never mentioned this so it’s safe to assume it won’t happen. The advantage of iMessage from iPhone to iPhone is that it looks like SMS but uses data. Rather like WhatsApp. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

3 and EE offer this. We have no signal where we are, so my wife misses SMS and voicemail notifications the whole time. I advised her to move to 3 and Vodafone talked her into staying, I’ll be contacting them as soon as her contract is out to move. It is ridiculous that vodafone won’t supoort this.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Access to SMS isn't available through our WiFi calling service at the moment. If this changes, it'll be announced on our Coming Soon page first.

I'm sorry to hear your wife struggles to connect to our network whilst at home @hsclater, we undestand how important it is to stay in contact. Our network troubleshooting guide might help her stay connected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s been listed on your own website under the WiFi Calling section that SMS over WiFi is “coming soon” (it has said this since January...). Surely someone, somewhere in Vodafone must know when you’re planning to enable it? 

jeffkinn

I'm sure they do know but Vodafone will never confirm or deny anything on here until it's been formally announced and is in the public domain.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

@mark the problem is that in our village, you can't get a signal on any provider. But on 3, we can all happily call and text over WiFi. My wife can't text at all because you don't support it. so it makes a big difference in the case where there is no signal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What a surprise - in true Vodafone Kafka-esque style, the page on WiFi Calling that advised SMS over WiFi Calling would be "coming soon" (and has said this for over a year) has now simply been deleted. :Laughing_Face:

One assumes they have therefore simply abandoned the prospect of VF ever allowing SMS over WiFi Calling...? Cheers Vodafone - thanks to your obscure and intransigent position you've lost another customer to EE as soon as my contract's up.

This now creates such a problem as the area in which we live has no Vodafone signal at all. With Ebay and PayPal now sending Log in number by SMS i cannot receive them so cannot use Ebay or Paypal. Surely something can be done to sort this out.

I moved my whole family of 5 away from Vodafone to Three because Vodafone don't support SMS over wifi...