Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

eSIM Swap FAILURE

jkwelsh
4: Newbie

I have  Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, it had my VF eSIM activated.

I purchased a new phone - A Galaxy Fold3, and wanted to transfer my eSIM from old phone to new phone.

Using the My Vodafone app on the Note 20, I went through all the steps to carry out a SIM Swap, and at the end of the process received the QR code via the app.

Went to my Fold3 - eSIM, Add mobile plan.  Scanned the QR code from my Note 20, and thats as far as I got.

Ive now been without any operating SIM since the 1st September, and Im going around in circles with the VF Tech Team - We will cancel the SIM Swap, and get you a physical SIM, which you can then convert to an eSIM on the new phone, but it will take up to 24 hours.  That was three days ago, and they still cant cancel the SIM swap request.  Apparently there is an "Open Order" for a SIM swap, and no one has been able to figure out a way to close it, despite trying, and submitting manual requests etc.

When I scanned the new QR code onto the Fold3, I got the following error message - "Your mobile plan is already being used by another device.  For more information contact your service provider.  Error Code SVR_8.1.1/3.8"

My SIM no longer registers on the network, and anyone calling the number gets a permanently engaged tone 😡

I've been a VF customer for 20 years, and have had my number for just as long.

Now Im unable to access anything that has 2 Factor Authentication set up - Banking, security, Network, PayPal etc.  And to change the number to a new number, you need - yeap, the original number working to pass the 2FA security 👎

Im so p!ssed off at VF right now Im ready to terminate my contracts.......

Anyone had similar problems when swapping an eSIM to a new phone??

John.

C Level Mobile Telecoms Professional

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

I think what's happened here is that there are different people looking into your complaint and probably thought that you were still without service. They have probably started to implement the fix that Vodafone had already done to restore your service? A case of left hand doesn't know what the right is doing (Probably didn't bother reading the notes on the account too!).

It's because of this thread I ditched eSIM and went back to a traditional SIM!

Anyway, I hope you get it resolved sooner rather than later.

Good Luck!

View solution in original position

43 REPLIES 43

Day 8 Update:

On call with CS now.

No change to the eSIM status.  eSIM still stuck in an "open order" status (has been for the past 48 hours) and no QR code has been issued.

Now 192Hrs + without Vodafone service 😡

Currently lodging a formal complaint to the Customer Complaints Team.

I cant even transfer a lot of apps to the new Fold3 as 2FA has to be functioning to authorise changes to banking and security related apps, and I cant even activate any new SIMS on my account (V-SIMs) - as that also needs 2FA operating.

I've been more than patient with VF, and the tech and CS staff I have talked to have been polite and courteous every-time Ive talked to them.  That hasn't solved the problem though.

Issue now passed back to Advanced tech Support Team (for the Nth time) with yet another promise that it will be sorted within the next 24 hours.

How long is too long?  How many attempts to resolve the situation is too many?

😡😡😡

Day 10 Update:

240hrs+ and still no service.

Talked to a CS agent this morning for an hour.  Repeated everything.  Again....

SIM Swap order still locked in the open status as they hadn't been able to close it.  No QR code issued.

But if I wait another 24 hours, it will definitely be fixed.....

Same old, same old 😠🙄

On a brighter note, a new physical SIM card arrived by post today, so I will take it to my local store tomorrow as Im not doing anything with it online.

Hopefully they can get it sorted, then I can port my number to a different operator.

Lack of access to 2 Factor Authentication is really starting to be an issue as well 😪

Day 12 Update

😡😡😡

Still no service.

Local shop staff, very helpful and apologetic.

Physical SIM has been "provisioned" however 8 hours later its still not registering on the network, and yes, I know it can "take up to 24hrs" to complete.

Now been without service for 288Hrs +

VF think that for the inconvenience I should be compensated £20 😡

Thats 12 days without any 2 Factor Authentication, so I cant access online banking, remote house security system, network security, credit card account, or remote car security, Oh, and  and I can't add any additional (smart) V-SIMS to my account.

I also cant transfer a lot of my secure apps to the new Fold 3, as they need to have functioning 2FA (obviously!)

Time for a strongly worded email to VFUK CEO, Ahmed Essam.

Day 13 Update:

Another day, yet another failure.

SIM card has not provisioned despite shop request to do so.  SIM Provisioning stuck in an Open Order State (AGAIN 😡)

Shop has had to manually request that the SIM Open Order be closed.  Try again in 24 hours, it will definitely be fixed 🤣🤣🤣😢

Complaint raised to OFCOM and email sent to Vodafone UK CEO requesting assistance to get this resolved once and for all.

Ive been as patient as I can be for the last 13 days, but still having no service on a contract SIM for this long is simply inexcusable.

Update Day 14

Still no working service.

SIM card still unregistered.

Letter of complaint sent to OFCOM.

Email sent to VFUK CEO

Social Media engaged.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

I can see you've been in touch over social media @jkwelsh - we'll reply to your latest message soon. 

Thanks

Update day 20

Still no service.

Had a call from a very supportive Manager on behalf of the CEO, who was hugely sympathetic to the situation, and understood my frustration.  He assured me that it was being delt with, and that the service would be restored within the next 24 hours.

I explained to him that this is what I had been told every day, for the first two weeks, and always with the same outcome.

I also expressed concern that my number may have been deleted from the system, but was reassured this was not the case.  (I had earlier the same day accessed CS via 191, and when I entered the number in question had been disconnected due to the number “not being found”)

So, here we are, after 20 days, and hours of my time spent on the phone talking to numerous VF employees, and my number is still not working, and still unable to access a plethora of secure services because my 2 Factor Authentication number is no longer accessible.

Oh and to cap it all, the number has now been deleted from my MyVodafone account.

Words cannot express how FURIOUS I am with Vodafone right now.

16 years I’ve been with Vodafone.  16 years I’ve had the same number.  16 years of solid, quality service.  Until now.

I can’t even port the number to another operator, because it’s not active.

WelshPaul

Vodafone is OK until something goes wrong and that is when you realise that Vodafone support is by far the worst of all the UK networks. Their support script is probably made up of one line... Please wait 24 hours, all will be working then!

I did a SIM swap on Saturday - I moved back from an eSIM to physical SIM after visiting a Vodafone store. I didn't delete the eSIM prior to the SIM swap being done, I did it after. The eSIM showed "Emergency Calls Only" and I could only delete the eSIM after connecting to WiFi. I don't think the fact that you didn't remove the eSIM from the old phone caused any issues with the process, it's just flakey the way Vodafone have implemented it.

Anyway, a SIM swap shouldn't ever cause the disconnection of a mobile number though surely? The number would or should remain in service but would go to Voicemail (or if no Voicemail service a pre-recorded message). I too would be worried if the number was no longer in service and had been removed from my online account! It could be of course due to Vodafone messing with the account trying to restore service?

Update Day 21

Still without service.

Im pleased to say that I am now receiving regular calls offering lots of understanding and sympathy, however no solution (……yet).

I think it’s becoming clear that the Tech Support Team don’t really know what went wrong with what should have been a simple eSIM Swap process, and as a result are struggling to resolve the issue, which seems to have infected my primary account number.

My primary number is also still not showing on my VF Account, which is a bit of a worry though…

I would just like to give a shout out to the Customer Service Staff who have been sympathetic to my situation, but are reliant on back office staff to actually sort the problem out.  In a company with millions of customers, it’s often the frontline staff who get abuse when things go wrong, even though it’s not their fault!

Also, whilst I’m pulling my hair out after 21 days without 2 Factor Authentication, at least I'm saving  money as I can’t sign into my Amazon or eBay accounts 🤣

WelshPaul

@jkwelsh wrote:

Update Day 21

I would just like to give a shout out to the Customer Service Staff who have been sympathetic to my situation, but are reliant on back office staff to actually sort the problem out.  In a company with millions of customers, it’s often the frontline staff who get abuse when things go wrong, even though it’s not their fault!

Customer Service Staff > Third Party Call Centre

Back Office Staff > Vodafone

When you call Vodafone Customer Service, you're speaking with a third party call centre who have limited account access and a basic script to follow. They will raise a ticket if your support request goes above their capabilities and that is actioned by Vodafone.

@jkwelsh wrote:

Update Day 21

even though it’s not their fault!

I disagree, they are acting for and on behalf of Vodafone. It's their fault! However, happy to hear that they are trying hard to restore your service and are now in regular contact with you and providing you with updates. I hope you get service restored soon. Good Luck!