cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VoLTE and WiFi calling not appearing/working (screenshots included)

Mahammad
4: Newbie

New pay monthly customer, started 23rd June. I’ve got WiFi and 4G calling enabled on myVodafone app, restated my phone however there’s no visible sign that WiFi calling is actually working. I’ve got WiFi calling icon on my quick toggles and turned it on before restarting but no indication.

My dad is on EE with his Samsung S20, on the top right he’s got a symbol and on the phone keypad he’s got another symbol that shows WiFi calling is active and working. On my phone there’s no icon on top right and definitely no icon on phone keypad, why’s that? By the way my Internet should be able to handle it, 6ms ping, 72mbps download, 19mbps upload.

For VoLTE I guess it’s working but just doesn’t show. I’ve got it enabled, same situation, my dads phone has a VoLTE icon on top right, no icon on mines. To be fair when on a call it says ‘HD’ so I guess VoLTE is working? I wish it was visible for my phone just like my dad’s, I think Vodafone purposely disabled that icon even though my phone is unlocked and brought from Samsung directly? As for WiFi calling, no clue why it’s not working. 

My phone is Note10+ 5G brought from Samsung UK and so is my dad’s unlocked S20 Ultra.

here are necessary pictures, for some reason doesn’t upload so google photos shared:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7qJjVTqChqQ5yFhU7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RxBu8ThoZVZUhqaL6 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xG2btbw72rvKD57N6 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yep I've tried that and it works! Turns out WiFi calling is only enabled when the signal is really low, I was confused all this time because I was comparing it to my dad's EE WiFi calling, his one is always activated even with high signal. 

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Mahammad 

I see you mention you've purchased your Note 10 directly from Samsung.

From wi-fi-calling  it does say "All the devices on this page will support WiFi calling when you buy them directly from us.

Please note that phones bought from other UK telecom providers are unlikely to support our WiFi calling, with the exception of iPhones, which should work regardless.

Devices might be compatible when bought from third parties, we’re working with these other manufacturers to add our settings."

So even though the Note 10 most definitely has the capability to use Calling Over Wi-Fi they can't guarantee it'll work.

You'll know if voLTE / 4G Calling is working because your phones data signal would remain on 4G and not drop to 3G.

"Instead of dropping to 2G and 3G, you can keep your phone 4G-connected while you’re on a call. As well as getting HD-quality audio, this means you can carry on using apps, streaming and downloading as you talk"

HD Voice is another feature. "Make yourself heard with crystal-clear, high-definition audio and minimal background noise"

Benefits/high-definition-voice-calls. 

Vodafone calling-features. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

VoLTE works for sure, stays on 4G. Also when swiping on a contact is says VoLTE call. No icon for it though but I'm not too bothered about that. 

Sucks that WiFi calling doesn't work tho. I came from VOXI so I never had the settings in the first place, when inserting the Vodafone SIM I got the new WiFi calling setting and quick toggle, makes me think it's compatible but I don't know, I'm clueless, really sucks 😂

Maybe it'll work in the future, Samsung unlocked is really popular option with probably alot of users, one can hope 😕

chistery
16: Advanced member

I assume you've tried aeroplane mode on and then turn wifi on, and wait to see if VoWiFi appears?

Yep I've tried that and it works! Turns out WiFi calling is only enabled when the signal is really low, I was confused all this time because I was comparing it to my dad's EE WiFi calling, his one is always activated even with high signal. 

chistery

That's the way most new phones work now, you will only see it when the signal is bad. SMS doesn't work though over wifi, unlike EE.

Glad it works though. 😀 

I spent nearly a decade trying to figure this out. But it turns out, you can actually tell your android phone to prioritise WiFi calling over 4G. This means, if you are in an area of moderate cellular signal your phone will still switch to WiFi. This fixes the age old bug of WiFi calling not enabling and calls going to voice mail.

The solution for Samsung phones is to download an app called Samsung Band Selection, that allows you to access a hidden menu that has a toggle for prioritising WiFi calling over cellular. For some reason, all UK mobile networks hide this setting by default. 

I'm not sure about other phones. However, with this information, I can at least put you on the right track. Unfortunately, there's no point in phoning the mobile networks, the call center staff will have never seen this setting. You need an app.