Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Pro - Use My Own Router?

speedydan
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi.

I have Pro Gigafast 900 at home. Generally - it has been really good. I haven't particularly had any problems with the connection. Wired devices have been solid.

I do however have a problem with the 2 'super wifi' boosters I have setup. Either One of them will drop at random points throughout the day. They come back up within about a minute - but it's quite annoying to be trying to do something upstairs, and for the connection to drop! Contacting support, they say that the boosters are receiving a huge amount of wifi interference - and that I should try moving them.

I never had this problem with previous mesh networks I've had setup at home, so my question is - can I use my own router and set up my own mesh again?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You can certainly do that, but it will be wasting the premium that you pay for Pro* and you will lose the 4G backup and VoIP phone.

Vodafone will provide the username and password required, probably the best way to get it is via live chat.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

*I am aware they no longer supply Gigafast 900 without Pro, I think that is a real con.

View solution in original position

14 REPLIES 14

Jayach

You can certainly do that, but it will be wasting the premium that you pay for Pro* and you will lose the 4G backup and VoIP phone.

Vodafone will provide the username and password required, probably the best way to get it is via live chat.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

*I am aware they no longer supply Gigafast 900 without Pro, I think that is a real con.

This is really helpful, thanks.

Jayach

Another possibility would be to get a mesh and use it in AP mode hardwired to the Vodafone router and switch the Vodafone WiFi off. That way you keep the 4G backup and phone.

Would I still be able to do this if I'm using a static IP?

Jayach

I can see no reason why that should change, Vodafone should still allocate the same I.P. irrespective of the router in use. 

So in that case can the router for the Pro setup be put in Modem Mode? If it could then I can use my existing TP-Link router which I consider very good.

Jayach

@GBISLT wrote:

So in that case can the router for the Pro setup be put in Modem Mode? If it could then I can use my existing TP-Link router which I consider very good.

The routers Vodafone supply do not have a modem mode. However the OP is on Gigafast (FTTP) so it doesn't use a modem.

Thanks Jayach for your quick reply.

I am trying to find any documentation for the router prior to my installation on the 21st Dec. I have a fairly complex setup and will need to make quite a few changes to the router straight after its installed and active.

Can you please point me to a document or manual?

Jayach

Are you going to be on FTTC or FTTP?

There is very little available info on the router, Vodafone is very poor on suppling details on just about anything they sell (on the broadband side). This is their take on installing the router: Set up your router | Vodafone Broadband Support

It really is a case of "suck it and see".

I don't know if any of the other poster's on here have found anything useful, but if you have queries, just ask.

One of the problems is. they keep removing options, like the ability to configure the WiFi channels.