cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

R218h sleeps when data runs out or without sim?

Matt2_uk
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I generally use my r218h when I'm on holiday, but recently at home I tried to use it as a standalone router (without internet) to try and separate off some of my wifi devices to diagnose a wifi speed issue I have on my vodafone broadband router. It seems that the r218h goes into a sleep/suspend mode if the SIM isn't in or if the internet connection isn't active. I guess this is possibly a power saving feature, but is there any way of stopping this as it's plugged in constantly so doesn't need to save power.

2 REPLIES 2

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @Matt2_uk, thanks for getting in touch. After 10 minutes without any users connected to the Vodafone Mobile Wi-Fi (via Wi-Fi or USB cable), the device will go into sleep mode.

If the device is being powered by battery and is in sleep mode, then it must be woken up by pushing the Power button before the device can be connected to. The display will briefly illuminate and connectivity will be allowed via Wi-Fi access.

If the device is being powered by the mains charger or PC USB cable, then as soon as a Wi-Fi connection request is received the Vodafone Mobile Wi-Fi will wake up from sleep mode (withoutany physical intervention), is this not happening? 

I have the same issue with my R219, in that it just turns itself off when it has power - and even when it's in use.
The unit that I have now is a replacement for the new R219 that I recieved a couple of weeks ago - that was doing the same thing.
Clearly there needs to be a Firmware update to stop the damn thing from turning itself off. It isn't just dropping to standby, but turning off.
Go ask Huawei for the instructions, because there's noting in the Vodafone book or website about this. And my last unit a Three E5573 never did this over several years