Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Roaming with the R218h

Rjsmifi
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I was assured the Mifi would work when abroad but it doesn't.

Have had 4 chats without success. Some suggestions were naive such as switching on phone's mobile data which resulted inevitably in the Mifi being bypassed.

I have now formally complained but any suggestions would be welcomed before I go abroad again and have to rely on a now well developed network of free Wifis.

18 REPLIES 18

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Rjsmifi

Can I ask if the agent confirmed the roaming bar was turned Off on your account  ?

To add as Vodafone UK have no direct access or control over a foreign network then connection can be a rare hit and miss affair as we've seen others who have experienced issues latching to a network etc when roaming with no glaring reason as to why it won't work. 

If this was my situation I would have the device unlocked to all networks so I could use a local SIM card as a last resort. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks.

That was a potential issue on our first trip but fixed. Second trip checked twice and confirmed as off each time.

I am a (very) light user of data generally but my granddaughter would make much more use of it so will perhaps look at local sims. Are these exchangeable within the Mifi device?

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Rjsmifi We're happy to look into this for you further. Please send us your details via the private message I've sent you. 

I have the same issue. The Mi Fi R218h worked in the UK but doesnt here in Spain.

I was assured it would work in the shop. There have been several chats but I think it is a roaming problem with the device (?). The SIM is OK to roam.

Can anybody help pls

Thanks

I have yet to validate the solution offered as haven't been abroad yet to try it. But seems promising.

I was given the following instructions over the phone in UK where MiFi was providing WiFi to a tablet.

Type 192.168.0.1 into Google

This brings up a login(from the app?)

Login as admin

Brought up Messages

Was a menu box top RH corner

Drop down to mobile broadband

Click on this

Click on connection

Tick green box - Automatically connect even when roaming

SAVE AND THEN CROSS YOUR FINGERS.

Let us know if this works!!!!!!!

This is brilliant ! It works and I now can use my Mi Fi, and that makes my holiday!

Thanks for replying and helping me out. You're a star!

Happy to help.

Woke up in a cold sweat at 03:00 thinking the number I had broadcast was my IP address.

Unfortunatemy I've tries this and it hasn't worked for me. My Wi-Fi says connected but "internet may not be available" 

It worked in the UK but not abroad. 

All I keep getting told by Vodafone support is to take the SIM card out, turn it off, wait 15-20 mins and turn it back on again. 

Would really appreciate some help.

On the Wi-Fi information it says automatic bit underneath it says disconnected... how do I bloomin connect the thing?