Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor signal since 3g switch off

JAMESORCHARD
10: Established
10: Established

Any one else got poor service/signal since 3g switch off? Think vodafone 3g switch off is a step backwards. My s22 ultra is always warm from always searching for signal since 3g switch off! Before I could get a steady 8mbps now I'm either getting nothing or  rarely 150mbps when 5g appears I've got to put my phone on silent at night to stop all the no service notifications 😑 poor show vodafone I'd rather have a reliable signal than this occasionally 1bar 4g or 1bar 5g

99 REPLIES 99

PARKINS63
3: Seeker

It is so frustrating, I’m currently considering EE , I have a pay as you go sim and the difference is phenomenal,. It is so very sad that there is not a single response from Vodafone on this issue

22karlo

Yes terrible, Vodafone haven't got the coverage with 4g to switch 3 g off   customer of them 32 years. Never been so bad

Simondlb
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Yup.  I have just returned from 3 years abroad and the service around my house in the UK, which used to be a bit iffy is now awful. It is unusual to get data, and the signal (LTE or 4G) is significantly degraded.  Big towns are no better - often no signal in Bury St Edmunds or Cambridge, and astonishingly poor signal in London too.  The rail line from Colchester to London is barely useable (no signal on departure from Colchester station) and Stansted airport Services likewise has a barely functioning signal.  I’ve been with Vodafone since 1993 but unless this improves significantly we are going to have to part ways.  I would be delighted if they would at least communicate their plans, but I sense that the switch off happened fast and the 4/5G will happen only at a slow pace, saving them money at the expense of service quality.  For what its worth in developing countries, providers such as ZAMTEL, Safaricom, Airtel and TNM, which I have used extensively in very remote areas, all provide significantly better service, including fast data for significantly less money.  Not very scientific, I know, but I think Vodafone UK has some questions to answer.

They ain't bothered , Sent a deadlock letter and I can go....!

vgopal
4: Newbie

same problem as everyone else, constantly have no data and phone shows E, when will Vodafone fix or even acknowledge it? Currently in a contract but wish i could move network.

Hi @vgopal It's important you're getting the best connection possible so we'd love to help you with this. Please drop our team a message over on our social channels and we'll take a closer look.

I did that. Technical folks looked at my address etc and confirmed that I now have no reception since 3G switch off. Also told me I can’t leave my contract. Currently exploring options with Ofcom.

PSReady

The real question is when are Voda going to turn off the 2G EDGE network? I presume it’s still on due to a government contract or similar.  I’ve just been sitting stationary at one of the South East’s busiest rail junctions near Lewisham and the 4G/5G 1 bar service automatically makes the phone switch to 4 bar EDGE, not surprisingly.  Poor share price means low investment and we’re all paying for it.  Vodafone UK used to be so great. Such a shame. 

@PSReady wrote:

The real question is when are Voda going to turn off the 2G EDGE network?..... the 4G/5G 1 bar service automatically makes the phone switch to 4 bar EDGE,

Not for very many years yet. One of the fundamental premises of the 3G switch-off is that whilst 4G is a more capable tech, 2G provides a voice & text service for non-4G phones.

Your issue of "4bar EDGE" being preferred to "1 bar 4G/5G" is not a technology issue, it's a VF choice of how to configure their selection criteria. Other operators configure their network to prefer the 4G/5G in this scenario, providing the signal is deemed usable.

Thank you, that all makes sense. Very interesting about being able to configure which one (2G/4G/5G)  takes priority. I wonder why they would prioritise 2G in this situation?