cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

When will Vodafone support SMS over Wifi Calling?

m1kegibson
4: Newbie

When will Vodafone come out of the dark ages and finally implement SMS over wifi calling?

Given Wifi Calling spec (voWIFI/GAN/UMA) incorporates SMS (and MMS) support, why is Vodafone's implementation limited to voice calls only - did they buy cheap kit off the back of a lorry perhaps?

120 REPLIES 120

I had an email reply from BBC  Radio 4 You and Yours as they were thinking of running a feature about the shutdown of Sure Signal. That probably will not happen now as Vodafone have been creeping in with SMS over WiFi by the back door. Even so, there is a distinct lack of information about handsets. I await Android 11 to my S10 but my wife's phone is an S5 so of no value and she cannot do WiFi calling. She will upgrade but is an example of what is happening to a perfectly good device such as Sure Signal. PLEASE Vodafone, can we have more information? It is not good enough to have your tech people tell us on the phone that SMS is now working. Obviously Android 11 is in the hands of Samsung and others, nothing to do with Vodafone. But I cannot believe they know nothing about which hand sets will work. On this forum we are like a terrier with a rabbit, but out there are millions of users who will get a text soon saying Sure Signal is about to be retired. Eh? What? Why so little information?

Hey my phone started receiving sms over WiFi.!!! No more going in the garden and waving my phone around for me  :Smiling:

Not an answer is it! One would assume that the true answer is that Vodafone has no plans in place to implement SMS over Wi-Fi calling. 5G is Vodafone’s and the industry’s pet project and those of us on the margins of coverage with any supplier don’t matter.

Torridon1
4: Newbie

I am equally appalled at Vodafone for not fixing this issue. Even the login in my Vodafone account required 2FA via SMS to my phone and my old v2 suresignal box is (I think) broken as of today. Yes I have wifi calling, but NEED access to SMS for 2FA for banking/vodafone account etc etc. ##~## vodafone, get this sorted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vodafone silence on this issue is becoming a legend. If anyone has a Sure Signal that typically fails after two years there is a genius who repairs these. Google - Andy Fraser Electronics. Turnaround is 48 hours and he is brilliant.

Many thanks @luffviolin for the tip, I found Andy's site and dropped him an email. He mostly repairs the v3 sure signals, and mine is an older v2, but he said it's most probably the power adapter, so i managed to find a spare power adapter with the same rating and it's back up and running!  Fantastic!  All the very best,

Excellent work, @luffviolin and Andy Fraser Electronics.  Unfortunately, I binned mine, since Vodafone was so proprietary about this service.  I figured not to waste time on something that was likely to be permanently locked out.  Vodafone has been perfectly horrible about this and could easily have contracted for such a repair.  I hope the people that really can't get mast signal benefit from this lucky dodge.

Try to find a V3 device if you can and get Andy Fraser (see above) to look at it. Be careful to check it is de-registered before you buy because you will need to register it yourself as the user. My best guess about Vodafone total silence is they may be 1. about to release a v4 device OR 2. Set up Wi-Fi SMS for their customers, OR 3. Not give a moment's thought to any of these two options. If they were at least honest about this we would know what to do. So long as my device works I will stick with Vodafone. Otherwise I will move swiftly to EE.

Whiskymac
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am glad to hear that this issue has been addressed, but I find myself with the problem nevertheless.  ASDA Mobile has switched from EE to Vodaphone and I now have no phone signal at home.  WiFi calling became available at the start of August which seemed good, until my bank generated SMS security codes were found to not get to me and now PayPal are requiring SMS sent codes to be received.  I have a Samsung S9.  Is there any way I can overcome this without switching to EE to get a signal?