Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Wifi Router Replacement

DaveEyes
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have just moved to Vodafone from TalkTalk - the speed of connection seems fine but I am a little dismayed at the functionality of the router management interface.   Its extremely slow to respond and lacks many features that the talk talk router had - such as being able to easily see what devices are on the network and to easilly set up static ip addresses.

I would be interested to know if there is a recommended 3rd party router that I could buy ...?

Thanks

Dave

35 REPLIES 35

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @DaveEyes - it's great to hear you've joined us 🙂 

All you need to do is download the Vodafone Broadband app, you can then easily view and manage your connected devices. 

My team can help set you up a static IP too, please just get in touch here

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Amanda I think @DaveEyes was referring to setting static IP addresses on his internal network

I find it fairly easy to do in the router interface, but I've no idea if it is easier on the TalkTalk router as I don't have one.

Thanks for the replies. The main problem is that the management console takes ages to respond.. Setting up 20 static addresses would take all day.

So no one has used any 3rd party router instead of the Vodafone one? 

Jayach

@DaveEyes wrote:

Thanks for the replies. The main problem is that the management console takes ages to respond.. Setting up 20 static addresses would take all day.

So no one has used any 3rd party router instead of the Vodafone one? 

Plenty of people are using their own routers, but you asked for recommendations, and choice of router is dependant on your priorities. Basically just about any router will be suitable, but if you are on FTTC it will need a VDSL modem (either internal or external).

I don't have the problem of the management console being particularly slow. I wonder if being new your router has not updated to the latest firmware. Check what firmware you are on, I believe the latest is 19.4.0551-3269082, but FTTP or Pro may be different. 

Try a factory reset on the router, they do seem to get themselves "in a twist" sometimes.

Edit: I have to ask, why do you need 20 static addresses?

2nd edit: I've just added a few static addresses and it took seconds each. 

Jayach_0-1637255921651.png

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I will check firmware etc. 

I may also have a go at configuring the talk talk router to run on Vodafone. 

Cheers 

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@DaveEyes wrote:

I may also have a go at configuring the talk talk router to run on Vodafone. 

Is that possible!  Certainly (in my experience) with EE, BT, and Vodafone hubs it isn't.  The Vodafone device doesn't have a modem only mode either which may be a consideration.

Jayach

I googled to see if it was possible when Dave first posted, and apparently on some of the earlier ones you can, but they will get no updates if not connected to TalkTalk.

Edit: I've got a Technicolor DGA4231 (same hardware as THG3000) issued by Manx Telecom, and although it has their username and password coded in you can change them. (but no firmware updates)

Also trying to set up multiple static IP address. Really slow and yes taking ages to do.  Really disappointed. With the router 

It shouldn't really be that slow - unless either the network is poorly configured or there is a rogue device (such as a smart TV that's a few years old) on your network.

The alternative, if it's possible on the VF router(s) would be to restrict the DHCP range and then assign the devices that you need manually outside of that range.

So for example, I limit the DHCP range on the network here to 192.168.127.16 - 192.168.127.239, which gives me 29 (not 32) addresses I can assign on devices directly outside of that range.  Reality is that the only devices I assign manually are the two local servers and GoogleTV (because of the paranoid way BBC iPlayer tries to identify it's in the UK).

Static IP: Fixed IP set on the router.

Manual IP: Fixed IP set on the device connecting to the router.