main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Wireless channel selection missing in expert mode?

SOLVED
View solved solution
vigom
3: Seeker

I spent 3 hours on their online helpline: first the chatbot, then humans and I even had my request escalated but all the "solutions" didn't work: they made me reset the router, change the DNS twice etc while I was telling them this wouldn't work. They kept telling me that the routers are very smart these days and they know what's best for me (sigh). My problem is that my router goes into channel 13 and I have devices that don't work in such channel. Even I was pointing them to this thread, they were suggesting solutions that would never work. It was very frustrating. I'll try to find an old app and see how it goes.

View more options
mortalskymonkey
2: Seeker

Mine defaulted to channel 7.

I've worked in IT for the last 15 years on large networks I'm not an expert in WiFi but I've got a fair understanding. This should not happen, on 2.4ghz the unit should only use channels 1,6 or 11 these are the only channels that do not overlap. To my knowledge it shouldn't even use channel 13 I could be wrong but I swear that was reserved for Japan or something like that!

I managed to manually change mine to 6 using the app prior to update after running a program called Inssider that determines the best channel to use with what's around.

I also manually set the 5ghz channel as some devices don't like the higher range within 5ghz.

Instant fix and improvement and it's been fine since. However the fact Vodafone have removed this option is crazy and I just don't understand why. The router clearly isn't very good at being "smart" and picking the right channel.

That rubbish in a previous post someone was told about them reducing bandwidth during the coronavirus. Come off it, couldn't quite believe I read that.

Vodafone support is really really poor and it's a shame because the internet service itself is actually fairly good.

View more options
CaseyTowse

Hi there

Can someone help me please? I'm at my wits end!

I have speeds of 37 but my app is showing low performance across all my connected devices. My work laptop is laggy, my internet buffers and when I called customer care, I was told to change the channels but like everyone else, the option to change the channels isn't there.

How am I supposed to work from home when the performance is so low?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Casey

View more options
mortalskymonkey

Hi Casey, 

Ok so the first thing I would do is download a program called InSSider - https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/

Setup a free account and let it analyse the channels your router is on, it'll advise you what channel you need to be on. Then I think the only option you have is to download an old APK file for the vodafone software and use an old version of the Android app to change the channel. 

Quite frankly its an absolute nightmare, the other option is you buy a new router and get the login details from Vodafone and use your own equipment which will mean you wont ever have this issue with channels again etc. 

Hope this helps 🙂

View more options
vigom

Assuming your problem will be fixed by changing channels (big assumption as customer service has no clue) I suggest downloading an old version of the app (check this thread earlier) and change the channel manually. It worked for me but, again, mine was a different problem and had nothing to do with performance issues.

View more options
flykthewiz

Remember to turn off autoupdate in playstore after installing v 4.1.0

View more options
nandroidia

They told me that they could change the channel from their end.  Suppose everything depends on who you speak to there, some know their stuff, unfortunately most don't have a clue.

If you can't download the older APK try calling again & see if they can change it for you.

View more options
flykthewiz

v 4.1.0 is here https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsC8IW1HzNwkjus5VWx5iU3hVEjBIA?e=3119jq

Remember to turn off autoupdate in playstore after installing v 4.1.0

View more options
CaseyTowse

Thanks all for your helpful responses. I’m with Apple so not sure I can download an older version of the app? 
Its very frustrating because I have excellent speeds but very low performance - not sure how that works? 

View more options
joker123

I'm facing exactly the same problem today. It's frustrating to know there is nothing I can do.

View more options
CaseyTowse

Maybe Vodafone can give us an update - they’re very quiet on here!! 

View more options
Beth

Hi all, we've not have any confirmation that this been removed. Have you tried to process this through the MyVodafone app as @bigad1992 suggested? We're unable to go into account specifics over the forum but our social media team are available to help 24/7 🙂

View more options
Flying-Chips
4: Newbie

As all the screenshots show, channel selection has been removed from both the router and the app. I don’t feel there is much more we can share/do until it’s resolved your end Vodafone.

View more options
itoney

I cant believe after all this time vodafone and their moderator's are still not acknowledging this.  They are utterly useless im afraid and you're chances of getting anywhere with them is virtually impossible.   they will say contact the media chats on Facebook and twitter and will have you running in circles.   The best thing to do is leave vodafone as soon as you can and raise as many written email complaints you can.  They dont fulfil their promises and you just end up frustrated.   

Check my post a few posts earlier on getting a previous version of the app.  uninstall the new one and install the old one.  Android only by the way

View more options
Jayach
15: Advanced member

@Beth wrote:

Hi all, we've not have any confirmation that this been removed. Have you tried to process this through the MyVodafone app as @bigad1992 suggested? We're unable to go into account specifics over the forum but our social media team are available to help 24/7 🙂

What more confirmation do you need than the fact that nobody is able to change it with the current version of the app?

View more options
nandroidia

It was confirmed to me & I was given the "not very believable" reason as stated in one of my previous posts.

View more options
vigom

I feel treated like an idiot with these kind of replies by moderators/technicians/customer support. And I don't say this lightly. Looks like a strategy to stall the problem and not address it.

View more options
CaseyTowse

Maybe we should bombard TrustPilot with reviews of their ineptitude? 

View more options
MarkD

If you've tried the way that @Beth has suggested, the best option would be to contact us using Facebook, Twitter or WebChat with your details. We haven't had confirmation that this service has been removed, however we would like to explore this in more detail. You can find how to contact us here

View more options
Jayach
15: Advanced member

@MarkD. As you are asking us to confirm that the wireless channel option has been removed from the router firmware and the latest version of the app means none of you are on Vodafone or you could do it yourself.

Don't blame you at all for going with someone else.

View more options