Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How to force WiFi calling when mobile network signal is poor

mikeb2
4: Newbie

The Vodafone mobile signal is very poor inside my my house (it's not great outside either). I've always got round this with a SureSignal device, until Vodafone recently abolished that service. They say it's been superceeded by WiFi calling. And when my phones (S10e, s21) switch to WiFi calling it works fine. Except they almost never switch over from the mobile network. There is just about enough signal for my phone to stay registered on the network (intermittently at least), but not enough to make calls reliably or send or receive SMS. It's hopeless like this.

So if Wifi calling is going to be a suitable replacement for the SureSignal, I need a way to make the devices switch over to WiFi more willingly.

10 REPLIES 10

hrym
17: Community Champion

I haven't used wifi calling myself, but my wife's Sony L3 switches to it on only a moderately poor mobile signal, so I suspect that different devices have different sensitivities.

The usual advice I've seen is to enable airplane mode and then turn on wifi.   It may also be that there's an option in call settings to prefer wifi calling over mobile, which would be much more satisfactory as it shouldn't require further manual intervention.

Neither of my phones switch to WiFi calling particularly willingly - seems like they need to be totally out of mobile network signal for several minutes before they'll swap over, and then they change back to mobile as soon as the tiniest bit of network reappears. So I'm stuck in a 'no mans land' where it's not using either.

Can't see anything in the call/phone settings (not even in the developer settings) that would affect wifi calling, besides enabled/disabled. Using airplane mode isn't really a practical solution - having to remember to turn it on and off every time I come in or out of the house.

Really don't know why Vodfone stopped the Suresignal service, that worked perfectly well. All the other major network operators have an equivalent picocell solution.

simax
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

One of the reasons Vodafone have stopped Sure Signal is because that uses 3G technology and Vodafone are planning to switch their 3G service off completely in the coming months and re-farm those frequencies to 4G or 5G technology.

The solution for you is to put your phone into aeroplane mode, then turning wifi on. This will force WiFi Calling on your device.

Hope that helps 🙂

I've now discovered my phone won't switch to WiFi calling full stop. Even in flight mode with WiFi turned on and connected. I've got wifi calling turned on in the phone dialler settings. Although I've just updated my phone to the latest firmware and now the wifi calling setting is missing from the phone settings completely.

So how do I make a (Vodafone supplied) Samsung S21 use wifi calling??

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @mikeb2 - If you go to Phone Icon > Three dots in the top right corner > Settings > Wi-Fi calling is this where Wi-Fi calling is no longer showing?

Alternatively, if you drag down from the top of your screen so that you can see all the different icons such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Power saving mode > Swipe through these and you should see a Wi-Fi calling option. Make sure this is highlighted in order to be able to use Wi-Fi calling.

If you still don't have that option head to your MyVodafone App > Manage Bars and Extras > Manage Bars and Extras > Calling Options > Drop down Wi-Fi Calling to make sure it's enabled on our network. If this hasn't resolved your issue, please drop us a message on social media so that we can help 😊

Yes, I've tried all that. After speaking to Vodafone customer services, it transpires that the Samsung Galaxy S21 does not support WiFi calling on Vodafone. More than a little disappointed, and quite shocked that Vodafone doesn't support a flagship phone like this.

AnnS

@mikeb2 wrote:

Yes, I've tried all that. After speaking to Vodafone customer services, it transpires that the Samsung Galaxy S21 does not support WiFi calling on Vodafone. More than a little disappointed, and quite shocked that Vodafone doesn't support a flagship phone like this.

I am not sure that is correct, there if a previous thread here for the S21 Ultra where WiFi calling is working https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/WiFi-Calling-Samsung-S21-Ultra/td-p/2680101.  to get the service working on your S21, speak to the Social Team as offered by @Evie 

I've read that thread, and there seems to be more people saying it's not enabled on their phone than those that do. I spoke to customer services who confirmed that it's not available yet. I don't do social media, and I don't see why that should get me any different answer from customer services. I've now returned the new phone and gone back to my old one.

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Vodafone customer services will use any excuse to avoid actually helping.

If the menu option for wifi calling isn't showing, you need the OTA settings sent from Vodafone. Tell them any similar supported device if they ask.  Sometimes disabling wifi calling in Myvodafone then re-enabling it also helps.

It works fine on my non Vodafone S21 Ultra.