Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Phone call asking to buy my number?

InsaneVRGamer
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

So let's start..

Some nice sounding chap, (obviously sounds british) said from bedford i believe, said he would like to buy my number and it used to be his, and that he's got an ongoing complaint or support ticket with vodafone because he's been wanting this number for ages,  apparently he stopped using it, then vodafone cancelled it i guess then sold it back on, i am now the owner of the number.  ----- HIS PHONE NUMBER EVEN SAYS the network called from is a vodafone number, backing up my slight believes he's a legitmate guy that i feel bad for!

He even offered too meet me to purchase it, and if that's legit, i'd obviously suggest my local police station (HQ) and doing it inside the station or on the doorstep, as that way 100% safe.

I don't know what to do, apparently his family have the number, his children, and he's had it i think said for over 20 years???? he sounded really middle aged or older, so seems legit.
I don't really want to ruin someones live by having a number, but at sametime.. what do i do?

I've moved to vodafone from another network anyway, and was planning to use a PAC number to overwrite the vodafone number...... is there any legit way to, give this guy the number that is currently on the vodafone sim?? as i wont be able to use it once i use my PAC on the sim i assume.

ITS A PAYMONTHLY SIM..... AND YEAH... I'M IN CONTRACT, SO I CAN'T JUST GIVE HIM THE SIM.. 

I am not here to break any tos, or toa or anything like that, i'm just a really nice person! never even been in trouble with the police...  if this is something that can't be done, just say so! 

I'm also not a fool, or stupid... and this also seemed a bit fishy, but also not, seeing as i just got the simcard, and this vodafone number a week ago, (Nobody knows the number) not even given it out!

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

It's a nice gesture for you even to be contemplating the request from the other member of public @InsaneVRGamer 

The number isn't yours to sell so I'd suggest to not contemplate that route.

There isn't a route you can choose to sell a number.

I appreciate what the other person is saying but you can't really know or prove they were the previous owner.

If they did use the number and it was that important then I'm afraid the onus was on them to retain it.

Then there's the subject of possible fraudulent usage on acquiring the possession of a number that you've been using.

When a person stops using a Payg number for a certain timeframe which is around 180 days + a further 90 days then it is then suspended and quarantined to then be re issued out again.

On Pay Monthly a number would cease in extreme circumstances i.e non payments.

I think the best you could do is if this person contacts you again is to suggest they contact Vodafone Customer services to pursue the number.

You have no control of how the number is re assigned.

Just continue with your Pac process.

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate. Take care.  😎 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Far too complicated and inconveniencing  @InsaneVRGamer 

The only way would be for you to get a PAYG SIM for any other network port out the number to the other SIM when the number moves give the other SIM to this person.  If this was completed within the first 14 days of contract, it would end the contract without penalty but still leave you to return any device and pay for the time you have had the contract, you would then having the added inconvenience of taking out a new contract.

The phone is mine, I only have a pay monthly sim..

I don't mind cancelling the contract, I took out 2 contracts with Vodafone / 2 pay monthly sims, both linked to same accountz. I don't want him. Being able to access my stuf.

I notice a manention of buying a pay as you go sim and transferring the number. Good idea, but what about my control what happens 

Also I don't know much about mobile numbers but mine seems pretty unique it's almost all 7s.. 

AnnS

It sounds like a premium number @InsaneVRGamer and possibly valuable and that may be the reason he has told you a sad story in the hope of getting hold of the number. It might be worth doing some research to see how much the number is worth.

As far as porting out the number, no chance of him seeing any of your content, you would just be giving him the SIM with the number.

there's only lik 4 numbers that aren't 7s. so this could be worth a bit? 

--- delete number to send via PM

AnnS

@InsaneVRGamer wrote:

there's only lik 4 numbers that aren't 7s. so this could be worth a bit? 

--- delete number to send via PM

Definitely @InsaneVRGamer , it's up to you if you believe his sad story. 

Take a read of this thread @InsaneVRGamer https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Gold-Number-Sales/td-p/2614598